Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How do I log in as root?

Thread: How do I log in as root?

dragon5

How do I log in as root?

Ok, this is probably simple but, how do I log in as root every time I run suse? From lilo I can only log in as home user.
    Single computer. Only one on this box. Not networked to anything else. Pain in the ass to log as root from the desktop every time I need root permissions. I seem to recall a distro I tried a bunch of years ago that would allow me to log in at boot time as root if I needed?
    thanks
    d5

jasonjwebman

Re:How do I log in as root?

at login screen type root then enter your root password in the password box. you dont want to run as root all the time as you can do some serious damage if your not careful. but that is how you do it.

Jason

dragon5

Thanks Jason, That occurred to me about ten seconds after I posted. duuh! I understand the warning, but isn't that part of the learning proccess? ;D
    d5

the other way is to type linux single at lilo and this will put you straight to a root shell when it boots up.
    And while your doing stupid things with the root account you might want to type rm -rf / and see how stupid it is to be root all the time
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

dragon5

Jeez, maybe I should just crawl back to Redmond and beg forgiveness from his holiness for even uttering the word 'linux'

ps. i like my file sys the way it is thank you.
    d5

Alastair, you know better than to do that. I will not accept flaming here. If you continue, you do know the consequence. Stop now while your ahead.

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Sorry, i think someone put me in a bad mood that day.
    Ill try not to do it anymore
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

yeah, i slipped a bit today as well, though i hope that what i wrote was a bit more intructional than flaming, but i did bite. we all have our days. sorry Aragorn

Babbing