Thread: Make G00gle do what YOU want

Mentor

Make G00gle do what YOU want

Here is a way to get g00gle to jump through YOUR hoops.

http://diveintomark.org/projects/butler/

Wow, greasemonkey is the coolest extension evar! Well, at least for those of us that know Javascript pretty good. Butler is pretty cool too.

Now just to think of somthing that will enable me to take over the world! In Javascript, of course.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Yea, there was some issue about that one. Whether or not it was "moral" or right to go and change what ads you saw on pages you visit.

the ad's you see are put there for a reason, by someone. Its kind of wrong to go and alter the page (more than just making the text larger so you can read it) in a way that benefits you. It is, after all, not your page.

Mentor
    If it appears on MY computer its mine! But if its on YOUR computer its yours. Users RULE.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Error";p="7069
    If it appears on MY computer its mine! But if its on YOUR computer its yours. Users RULE.
    Thats a bad way to look at things. I have ad's on linuxfoo to generate income. Now, while I'm not opposed to using ad block to block those ad's, I am against anything that would change those ads to an ad I didn't want shown. Does that make sense?

And since Linuxfoo is MINE (I own it/run it) I should be the only one who gets to decide on what ad's are displayed.

Its like TV and your "anology doesn't work with TV... Despite the fact that the TV is mine (as in I own it) I don't get to decide what ad's are displayed while I'm watching, except by changing the channel.

Mentor
    That was a bit of sarcasm on my part. But we have been told that you can't leave the TV to go to the bathroom during commericals. If you watch the show, you must watch the commericals.

Da f00 is yours!

That brings up an interesting point mcangeli. You bring a difference view to the debat. Many of us that don't run web sites that use ads as a means of income don't/can't understand this.

I, for one, hate ads. They are usually obtrusive, annoying and take up a good portion of the page. But for some one that makes money off those ads, those are good qualities.

Maybe, the advertising model for the internet needs to be changed? Maybe the roadside banner model just isn't going to work like it does on the internet.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor
    JRO, Thanx dude, you are the man! Can't solve problems with the same thinking that caused them!