Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux probs

torch

Linux probs

I got the bootloader to work right thanks to babbing but now I have a new prob...I start linux up and it does its check of stuff then goes to the localhost login: like it always did but now it just passes that by after like a second then the screen goes blank..its just black...I tried restarting 4 times..same thing..

torch

Re:Linux probs

I decided to go with text login this install...and I login and everything and I installed xwindows so I can see the desktop or whatever it may be called and when I try stuff that has to do with logos...xwin and stuff like that it has problems iwht the display like I tried opening xlogo...says Error:cant open display...Now im figuring thats the reason my screen probably went black when I had graphical login was because of some display problem...any one have any idea what causes this problem and how I can fix it?

Have you touched your Xf86Config-4 at all, that is you display configuration file. What Video card are you using. Also, are there any other errors?

Goodluck,

Babbing

Aaron_Adams

If it's not coming up with errors for some reason or another you can check /var/log/XFree86.0.log and check for errors there.

Good call, Post those up heeya :P

torch

babbing to answer your questions no i didnt mess witht hat config file and im using an integrated gf2 mx which the install recognised and ill post the file aaron said

PS...this is a very newb question...I open this with a word processor right? and how do I open a word processor

Aaron_Adams

torch,

There seem to be 3 commonly used text editors in linux. These are Emacs, vi, and pico. They are not normally refered to as a word processor due to them having less functionality then something like Microsoft Word and Corel Wordperfect. Although there are equivelants to those in linux as well.From a newbies perspective and my opinion (although it's worth learning eventually) I'd say don't use vi. Pico is probably the simplest at the moment, and if it's not installed on your system go with Emacs. I'd recommend doing a google search for emacs tutorial or something similar before you get into much editing.

As far as I know XF86Config-4 on RedHat machines are located in /etc/X11/, this means you're going to have to edit the file as root.

To do so just use the su command to get to root (assuming you didn't know that already) and type emacs /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

From the sounds of your problem you don't have your monitor configured properly. You're best bet is to check the manufacturers website and get the specifications for your model, are you can check the manual if you have it. You'll want to note things like max resolution, vertical sync, and horizontal sync.

Also, if you're using a gf2 mx, you're eventually going to want to install the nvidia drivers to support things like opengl. I'll refer you to the OMP on this site for future reference. http://www.getlinuxonline.com/omp/ha...ia_install.htm

Hopefully this helps you on your way, and definately keep us updated on your progress.

Welcome to GLO btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Adams
    torch,

There seem to be 3 commonly used text editors in linux. These are Emacs, vi, and pico. They are not normally refered to as a word processor due to them having less functionality then something like Microsoft Word and Corel Wordperfect.
    hmm, i recall people typesetting entire books in vi and emacs... : : :-\
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Aaron_Adams

I'm not saying it can't be done, i'm saying they aren't normally refered to as word processors (from my experience).

Richard Stevens wrote his books with troff/groff formatting, so anything is possible.

torch

Ok well...I tried aarons idea of going into the config-4 and I didnt exactly know what I was doing but I gave it a shot anyway..and I edited the config...to no avail..and I tried looking at the log but I cuoldnt find the log. So I dont know what to do now...I tried playing tuxracer jsut for fun and it didnt work it said somehitng like Couldnt find display or something like that