Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I finally installed Slackware 8.1

Thread: I finally installed Slackware 8.1

Aaron_Adams

I finally installed Slackware 8.1

Due to wanting /home on it's own partition I decided to install Slackware 8.1. 8.0 was more then sufficient ( since with the updates it was analogous to 8.1 anyway ).

A few noticeable changes are :

The choice for more then one kernel. Although as some people have said it's not overly informative on what each one does, it does mention that if you don't know what each one is don't select it. (This comes to one of my suggestions later on though).

A new cron setup. It's similar to other distributions like RH now, with the /etc/cron.* dirs. At first I wasn't overly fond of this, but after playing with it a little, it does make some things easier. It uses the /bin/run-parts binary written by patrick to run the scripts in the cron.* dirs.

I installed the logrotate tool on install just to see how it was implemented and I don't mind it either. It was previously not offered afaik. It has a good method of keeping things simple and organized. I'll be impementing my own remote logging system soon anyway though, so the logrotate fun on this machine will be short lived.

Slackware is no longer including the /opt directories. This has no effect on me, so I don't mind in the slightest. It's nice to have less directories in / anyway.
    What were these even used for? The KDE and Gnome libs? Personally I'd prefer them in /usr/local/lib anyway.

A small change I noticed is there is no longer a /cdrom dir. There are three default directories under /mnt. /cdrom, /fd0, and /hd . This is much more convenient, as I normally created a /cdrom and /fd0 directory immediately anyway.

I didn't install any gui libraries or KDE / Gnome off the CD, so I can't comment on the versions they include. If they included Fluxbox on the cd... maybe.

Anyway that's about it for noticeable differences that i've come across so far.

My only suggestion to Slackware would be that they include a '?' option in their installation process that parallels the usage of the menuconfig '?' for kernel compilation. It wouldn't be overly difficult to implement I would think, and it would be nice to be able to know what binaries / libraries a package is going to install before installing it. As some names can be somewhat deceptive. The only time a small description comes up is when it's installing, and on most machines that goes by far to quickly to read anyway.

Re:I finally installed Slackware 8.1

You forgot the kernel image is now located in /boot
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Aaron_Adams

Re:I finally installed Slackware 8.1

Ahh that's right I forgot about that. I do like that though... much more organized