Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Emachines monitor set up

Thread: Emachines monitor set up

Nu2Linux

Emachines monitor set up

Hi,

I am trying to set up RH Linux 7.3 on an Emachine T1105. In setting up the monitor, Linux doesn't list Emachine monitors. So, per the specs of the monitor(EView P3), I selected the scan rate as H:30-70KHz, V: 50-160 Hz.

However, the screen is not clear and has lots of color lines. So .. 2 questions:

1. How do I chage the monitor scan rate?
    2. What is the correct scan rate for EView P3

Thanks

Nu2Linux

Spot

Re:Emachines monitor set up

Quote Originally Posted by Nu2Linux
    That would be in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    You can probably (hopefully?) find the specs on their website, or perhaps you have the literature that came with it?

Nu2Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    That would be in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    You can probably (hopefully?) find the specs on their website, or perhaps you have the literature that came with it?
    Thanks for the help. However, I am a total newbe to Linux. So ... I couldn't get it to work. I found the file XF86Config-4 and tried to run it (assuming it was an executabel). But it wouldn't run (kept saying ...no such command...). So I thought I might be able to modify it with VI ... but couldn't figure out how to open a file in Vi.

So... please can you help me with a little (lot?) more hand holding? Thanks

Nu2Linux

hehehe, all that file is is jsut a configurator file. it adjusts X's setting to you specific wants/needs. Rather than use Vi, which is a bit cryptic, try pico. just pico <path> at the cammand line. Did you find the settings on the website?

Spot

Thanks for the help. However, I am a total newbe to Linux. So ... I couldn't get it to work. I found the file XF86Config-4 and tried to run it (assuming it was an executabel). But it wouldn't run (kept saying ...no such command...). So I thought I might be able to modify it with VI ... but couldn't figure out how to open a file in Vi.
    That file is a configuration file, not an executable - it's a plain text file that holds the settings for your X confiration. You can edit it with any text editor you have, be it kate, gedit, vi, joe, pico or what have you.
    Editing it can be quite a duanting task, especialy if you don't know what the fields mean - you might want to check the XFree website docs (http://xfree86.org/) for more info on what's what.
    What goes into those fields depends on the hardware you are using - you'll need to get the docs that came with it and/or info from the manufacturer's website to really tweak things up tight.