Thread: Help with bootloader

torch

Help with bootloader

Ok I just installed redhat linux 7.3 personal and I chose the GRUB bootladerand I have linux on its own hardrive and windows on its own harddrive and when I boot up the machine on with it booting on the windows harddrive figuring the bootloader would start and it does but the only OS that it shows available is Linux even though I have windows XP as well...to fix this do I have to reinstall linux or can I fix this without reinstalling

Re:Help with bootloader

we sure can fix this without reinstalling ;D 8). i haven't dealt with adjusting GRUB, so this will be fun. i know that when you use LILO, you just have to edit a file, and it is a peice of cake. i am, currently, reading a HOWTO (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+Win9...OWTO/proc.html) on using GRUB. so here is what i see. i understand that windows in installed, and you installed it first, then linux, and also put grub into the MBR. it is because it is in the MBR that it goes into linux when you boot and looks past windows. also, this means that GRUB is installed and functioning, so we are already ahead of the game. One last thing you want to get out of the way is your partitions. make sure you know exactly where winXP is. We should now edit /boot/grub/grub.conf. from here, since i don't know to much about your partitioning, i am just copy/pasting a section of that HOWTO. All you have to do is add the windows section to you grub.conf. Just be SURE that you get the partitions right. One last tip before the big paste, MAKE A BOOTDISK!!! not offense, but you are likely to mess it up the first time like i do a lot:P. ok here we go:

3.2.2. Editing grub.conf

default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda6
    initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

title Windows 98
    map (hd0,0) (hd0,2)
    map (hd0,2) (hd0,0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

title DOS Boot Disk
    map (hd0,0) (hd0,2)
    map (hd0,2) (hd0,0)
    chainloader (fd0)+1

Let's go through and see what this means.

"default=0" and "timeout=10" will cause Linux to boot in 10 seconds if you don't touch anything. "splashimage" is self-explanatory and not very important.

"title" denotes each boot setting and the text that follows is what will appear in your menu at startup. "root" specifies which partition contains your Linux kernel image (this may or may not be your actual root (/) partition). So, "root (hd0,0)" tells GRUB that the kernel is on the first partition of /dev/hda. You can see that GRUB has a funny numbering system, 0-3 for primary partitions and 4+ for logical partitions. The next line tells GRUB just where to find your kernel and where your actual root partition with your Linux system is. "initrd" tells where your init ramdisk image is located. Note that these few lines will probably be somewhat different if you don't have a separate /boot partition. Look at the GRUB info page if you need more help.

The "map" lines under the Windows 98 section are essential for getting your installation to work. These are the magical lines that trick Windows into believing that it's installed on the first partition of the first disk. If you don't map the Windows partition to (hd0,0), Windows will destroy your partition table and you won't be able to boot anything.

"rootnoverify" tells GRUB to boot from the Windows partition, but not to attempt to mount it, and "chainloader +1" tells GRUB to chain to Windows' bootloader which will start Windows.

The "DOS boot disk" section is needed if you are going to boot from floppy to begin the Windows install, but it will also come in handy after your install if you ever want to use a DOS boot disk for whatever reason. If your Windows install CD is bootable, you'll need to have a "Windows boot disk" section which chainloads to whatever your CDROM device is called.

Now save grub.conf and exit your text editor. Unlike LILO, GRUB does not require you to run any executable after you've modified the boot configuration. Now, with your emergency Linux boot disk handy, try rebooting your computer. When the system comes up you should see the GRUB menu with your three boot options. Select Linux. Hopefully, Linux will boot as usual and you'll have installed GRUB properly. If it doesn't, you thankfully have a Linux boot disk so that you can boot into Linux and fix your grub.conf. Once you've got GRUB successfully booting Linux, it's time to install Windows.

Goodluck,

Babbing

torch

Thanks for your uhh 6 replies...when you meant make a boot disk you mean for linux correct?

Also can this file be edited from within linux because when I try to open it says Permission Denied....

@#^@$%^!@#$ konq! umm yes, i did, because if you mangle GRUB, you will need _something_ to start linux

Goodluck,

Babbing

torch

ok well it would be nice if someone could guide me through it if I could even open the file...I have windows XP installed byitself on its own hard drive and linux installed on its own hard drive...im not sure which map (hd*,*) they are and I dont feel like royally f***ing it up

heh, i know how you feel, but isn't that the best way to learn??
    first start by telling which window manager you are using, some RH7.3 defaults are gnome or KDE3.
    ok, to open the file you must choose a text editor. i personally like kate.
    The reason you get denied is because, at the moment, you are jsut a user, you don't have full system privis like an admin would. How would you like jsut anyone to change how your machine boots, that is the idea i am getting at. so, open a shell, aka, the command line. then log in as the super user. once you have done that, and the prompt returns, type "kate". this will launch kate with root privileges. now, find the open button at teh top of kate. then, click the up arrow to move up the dir structure. when you can't go any higher up, click into the boot dir, then click into the grub dir. then, is that dir, you will find the grub configuration file. now you can edit it :P

Goodluck,

Babbing

heh, i know how you feel, but isn't that the best way to learn??
    first start by telling which window manager you are using, some RH7.3 defaults are gnome or KDE3.
    ok, to open the file you must choose a text editor. i personally like kate.
    The reason you get denied is because, at the moment, you are jsut a user, you don't have full system privis like an admin would. How would you like jsut anyone to change how your machine boots, that is the idea i am getting at. so, open a shell, aka, the command line. then log in as the super user. once you have done that, and the prompt returns, type "kate". this will launch kate with root privileges. now, find the open button at teh top of kate. then, click the up arrow to move up the dir structure. when you can't go any higher up, click into the boot dir, then click into the grub dir. then, is that dir, you will find the grub configuration file. now you can edit it :P

Goodluck,

Babbing

also, let me see if i can find a better howto, that one may not be as direct, or on target as we would like it. brb