Thread: RedHat

mugs

RedHat

I have been using Linux since May, but only Suse. I am interested in trying something else out. I thought I would try RedHat. Is it possible to download it? What would I need, just the ISO? If someone could let me know where to find it, it would be great. Also, I have Suse on a separate hard drive from XP. What would be the best way to get rid of SUSE and install Red Hat. Thanks!

Re:RedHat

redhat will have isos on their site. You might allso like to check out the mirrors for somewhere closer to you.
    The redhad install prog will let you remove the suse partition etc (make sure you use the advanced install)
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mugs

Thanks for the info. I have another question. Is it possible to install Red Hat or another distro alongside Suse? I have Suse on it's own harddrive, the harddrive is 40 gig. I would really like to try out Red Hat, but dont want to really wipe off Suse, since I have made a lot of progress and customizations.

Thanks.

Bogler

You could resize the SuSe partition with GNU parted and then install RedHat on half the disk or something. As long as the RedHat partition is primary i think you shoud be able to boot it (you would have to look into this). GNU parted is an excellend tool. Just create the boot disks and boot off them then off you go.. there are loads of instructions on the site.

I personally have used it to resize partitons, wipe em, recreate new ones etc etc

Bogler

mugs

Hey Bogler, I downloaded and installed Gnu Parted, but cant get it to run.
    It says it cant find it....

Bogler

It took me a while to get it to work, you have to create the bootdisks. Download the partboot.img file and the other one (i can't remember off hand) and then boot the machine.

You have to have the partition you want to change unmounted. Then go for it, it does work. Keep trying.

Post more details on what you have done and i'll see if i can help any.

Toodle oo the nooo

Bogler