Thread: Prefered ICQ client

Prefered ICQ client

What's the best? And is there a nice KDE client?

Re:Prefered ICQ client

hmm from what i can say i have used
    centericq
    kicq
    kxicq
    licq
    kopete
    and now im trying out gaim
    the best client so far was centericq - but for X and kde i would take licq if its not crashing on you its a fine client - kopete is still too much beta imho, and kxicq and kicq are not really good to use - but thats just my personal view of it ..

I have tried licq, kopete, centericq and gaim. I like centericq, but it is not the prettiest. Just changed a couple of days go to gaim, which seems to work real good. Kopete is fine, but as ch-b says, it still needs some tweaking.

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=4799;start=0#47760 date=1030809356]
    I have tried licq, kopete, centericq and gaim. I like centericq, but it is not the prettiest. Just changed a couple of days go to gaim, which seems to work real good.
    [/quote]

just tried gaim - is there a way to get the server side userlist to load up ?

Kopete and sim are the best I've tried, and I must say I like kopete-cvs the best, lots of neat features in there.

licq is very good and they finally have a stable version that supports the new ICQ protocol

personally i prefer Kopete because it has a lot of active development and will be included in kde 3.2 (or 3.3) as the default IM client and it will integrate with a lot of the KDE programs. oh and kopete also does other IM protocols.

check http://kopete.kde.org/ for more info on kopete

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=2;threadid=4799;start=0#47769 date=1030811005]
    licq is very good and they finally have a stable version that supports the new ICQ protocol

personally i prefer Kopete because it has a lot of active development and will be included in kde 3.2 (or 3.3) as the default IM client and it will integrate with a lot of the KDE programs. oh and kopete also does other IM protocols.

check http://kopete.kde.org/ for more info on kopete
    [/quote]

I switched to kopete after I broke licq, and I've had some degree of success with it. I'd have to agree that I'd go with kopete because of the amount of development. As Ralinx just said, it's also aiming to be the default IM of KDE. So far I believe it does ICQ, MSN, IRC, and Jabber. More plugins to come, you can rest assured. What I liked most about it was that it integrated so well with KDE. I haven't had any success with kicker plugins or kde integration options. Kopete is for kde, by kde so you know it will play nice. I'm looking very much forward to the next release. A few more features would be nice (example: file transfer).

[quote author=ch-b link=board=2;threadid=4799;start=0#47763 date=1030809968]
    [quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=4799;start=0#47760 date=1030809356]
    I have tried licq, kopete, centericq and gaim. I like centericq, but it is not the prettiest. Just changed a couple of days go to gaim, which seems to work real good.
    [/quote]

just tried gaim - is there a way to get the server side userlist to load up ?
    [/quote]
    Not as far as I know. I haven't even added manually my list.

I use Kopete and the only problem I've had with it is that I usually can't talk to one of my friends who uses MSN. Hopefully this might not happen in the next version (It would be nice if they took more of a 'realise early, release often' approach because they haven't had a new version in a while.)

Licq worked for me but messages didn't sometimes go through and the replys would take ages. Then I switched to kxicq. That was good but I didn't like it as much as Licq.