Thread: another hand me down

Hybrid View

cindir

another hand me down

well I'm getting back to the basics a Compaq Deskpro XE 560 type basics. This pentium 60 is my only machine but i seem to be having trouble with the colour aspect. This comp used to have winblows 95 (phear not it has slack now ;D ) and the color was buggy but worked. But I installed slack (8.2) and now have zero colour(Not even the nifty directory colors in ls). But in experminting with Xf86config the true settings for my monitor produce a "No screens found" err. but very basic settings create a odd screen (it appears as the top half missing) and very large pixels(due to the 640x480) setting. The video is built into the motherboard and I belive that it is a Compaq "Qvision 1024/I" chip but can't confirm that fact. But it creates no luck with Xwin and I'm kinda stuck.
    Thanx in advance
    Cindir

Re:another hand me down

weird...well first i would suggest to check all the little things. can you gimme a list of drivers that you are using? that half screen thing would lead me to believe that you have a malfunctioning driver or the improper one. but it seems to be working in a very limited way. if not, maybe some of the hardware is damaged, since it only produces half a screen. lol, hope this shows up on the lower half :P

Goodluck,

Babbing

cindir

Its hard to explain but I'll try. The kernel image is bare.i kernel version is 2.4.18 I haven't installed any "special drivers" and for the xf86config I tested it with all the generics (SVGA, VESA, etc. # 0,1,2 in video card list) I can use command line and all but its b&w only, and the only bit of colour I see is when I type "startx" and it pops up [half of the] enlightenment wm (for gnome, it was set in install) :'(

I'm going to try to get a video card to test if it is the hardware thats a prolbem but it might be a little while b4 that, so I'm still trying to get a fix if it is out there.

cindir

Same box new goal I want to set this box up to be a firewall so any help on that wuold be nice thanks. ;D
    And it will be running slack of course
    Thnx guys
    cindir