Thread: checking partitions, hdb: lost interrupt (zip100 drive)

Hybrid View

HuFlungDung

checking partitions, hdb: lost interrupt (zip100 drive)

I'm a Linux newbie. I got the SuSE Linux8.0 package.

checking partitions..
    hdb: lost interrupt
    lost interrupt
    lost interrupt etc
    (hdb = zip100 drive)

I first noticed this error on initial installation, so I rebooted and went to "Safe install" or something like that, and the installation went without a hitch. I actually made it through several warm boots and was in looking around in the GUI, but not yet doing anything. I do know that the zip drive was visible in Konqueror, so somehow the linux system does recognize it. BTW, this is a dual boot ME computer, and I know all the hardware works in windows.

So now, after the machine has been off, and cold booting to Linux, I cannot get past this message area, in regular boot or
    safe boot.

There must be a boot parameter that will skip this "checking partitions. lost interrupt" stuff on the zip drive. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks a lot.

HuFlungDung

Re:checking partitions, hdb: lost interrupt (zip100 drive)

I stumbled across a parameter to add to the boot command line, after running setup again and seeing exactly how "hdb" is described in the partitioning setup. Or maybe I saw this description earlier in the boot up process, I can't remember:

Linux /dev/hdb=hdb4

This seems to identify the zip drive "partition" properly and boot proceeds normally.

I'm a bit hazy as to how I incorporate these extra parameters into my default boot procedure. I've logged in as root, and poked around in /etc, but I'm not having much luck at determining where or how I would insert this information.

I'd appreciate a pointer or two. Also do you think there is much chance of ever getting a Diamond Supramax 56k "winmodem type of modem" to work in Linux?

HuFlungDung

Re:checking partitions, hdb: lost interrupt (zip100 drive)

Actually, I've discovered that this "fix" only works if I have a disk in the zip drive. Once I am into the Linux GUI, then even though I can unmount the drive, I cannot eject the disk.

What is the solution to this problem?