Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Problem installing kernel sources

Thread: Problem installing kernel sources

kurtismonger

Problem installing kernel sources

I have installed SuSE 8.0 without any major problems on my IBM T23 laptop. However I need to install a new driver for the ethernet card and I need the kernel sources to do it. When I use Yast2 to install the sources it seems to go through the motions but when its finished the sources are not marked as installed nor are they in /usr/src/linux. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    - I should also add that I have tried this as both root and my regular user account

Aaron_Adams

Re:Problem installing kernel sources

Hey Kurtismonger,

Welcome to GLO!

I'm not sure how Yast2 goes about installing the kernel sources in Suse, because I do everything from the command line, but if it's like any other kernal install you'll need to reboot. It may have succesfully created the new boot image, you're just still booted into the older kernel.

Rebuilding a kernel is one of the few times when you'll need to reboot your linux machine, but when you think about why, it makes sense.

Just my thoughts, but I'm sure someone else will have some more intuitive suggestions.

Aaron

kurtismonger

I forgot to mention it in my original post, but I did reboot both as root and myself. I didn't recompile the kernel, all I did was try to install the kernel sources.

JimH

I don't know anything about YAST2, but since Suse is RPM based this should tell you whether the sources are installed:

rpm -q kernel-source

Red Hat, for their 2.4 kernels uses the symlink /usr/src/linux-2.4. Suse might do the same.

Jim H