Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD Burn Software

JimH

Re:CD Burn Software

Quote Originally Posted by WarLockLord
    Ok.. I got cdrecord and eroaster, installed them, and even created a taskbar loader button, and it works!! But man that was a bit cumbersome.
    How did you install them?

I have to ask a question, honestly, is the intent of the Linux world to keep Linux for themselves? I have some background in DOS, albeit very limited, but what about all the others that came after me and only know Windows?
    Think about this. What if the same user had never used windows. But had only ever used Linux and had to switch to windows. Don't you think they would regard the "windoze way" of doing things to be "strange".

Jim H

WarLockLord

You know JimH to some degree you are right, I never looked at it from the perspective of Linux to Windows. The Linux users would probably compalin that they have lost control and that Windows has taken all the fun away. Change is a tough pill to swallow sometimes, we do it kicking and screaming at times. Bill and Co. have created a comfortable environment which in the begining was in response to users cry for something like Macintosh - a graphical environment that is "user friendly."

The Install:
    Initially I tried to determine if cdrecord was already installed as part of RedHat 7.3. I performed a locate as su, and a find in Konqueror as super user, both found nothing. Searched with Google and found an archive warehouse of rpms and dowloaded the latest version of cdrecord. I also searched for eroaster and downloaded the latest version from the owner's website.

The Fun Part:
    Installed both cdrecord and eroaster in terminal su mode. The fun part? was how to get these programs to work. I posed the question what is a front end program and got back a response that reminded me of the days when I wrote little programs in BASIC to get things to work in DOS. Playing around I discovered that issuing the command ./eroaster got things going. This was the cumbersome part, it did take me some time to figure this out. I admit, I am spoiled.

Sorry for being so long, hopefully this helps others out.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by WarLockLord
    The Install:
    Initially I tried to determine if cdrecord was already installed as part of RedHat 7.3.
    Simple:

rpm -q cdrecord

Playing around I discovered that issuing the command ./eroaster got things going. This was the cumbersome part, it did take me some time to figure this out.
    Eroaster does not place a entry on your menu, it would be nice if the author would correct this. Instead of the user having to manually add one themselves.

Clicking run, from the KDE or GNOME menu and typing eroaster will run it "just like windoze".

Jim H

ok, now for Babbings 2 cenx....

another way to quickly get to the run menu is alt F2....

ok here we go:

Linux is honestly the best thing that has happened to me in a long time as far as software. i have used windows since it was just dos, and i _admit_ linux may be hard to get used to, but look what you have missed? i still yell at my friend (:P) about not telling me sooner. honestly, windows is for monkeys. the difference is like the difference between a manual tranny and an automatic. for a little extra work, you can get soooooo much more. but you have to learn to use it, and that takes a little bit. another thing, look at the community around you. i have never seen the likes of it. honestly, you step in here and ask a question, and you get surrounded by problem solvers, who do there utmost for you. i can tell you now that the guy on the other side of phone line for windows tech support is not a happy person. he has to deal with a defunct product that everyone seems to be skrewing up. FOR CHRIST SAKES< HALF THE TIME THE ERROR MESSAGES MEAN NOTHING!!!!!!! Another thing, this kind of setup on windows would have cost you a pretty penny to just buy, and don't forget your also buying into 30,000+ known bugs. lol, anyways i thought this was interesting, i have been talking to intel (itanium and alpha) chip designers for the last few days and found this tid bit out: they are ALL moving to linux, not to mention AOL, who is gonna package mozilla. i love that.

another thing, you are using Slack right? keep in mind, that AFAIK, it is pretty minimalist. you jsut start you at bare bones and let you do the rest.

really though, just keep trying, and keep asking questions, there is bound to be another person wondering the same thing. it will get easier. i just started in may and i (with the help of many people here) have set up a dual boot, dual monitor system, with an audigy audio card that had no drivers, which i had to do myself, and god knows all the other accomplishments. i love the challenge. you will love it the day you type in uptime and it shows you 100 days or something :P

*phew* ;D ;D 8) : :P