Thread: Enlightenment installation

aluisius

Enlightenment installation

I am trying to install enlightenment window manager on RH 7.3 GNOME. I compiled the source successfully but it won't show up in the window manager selections.

I went to /usr/local/enlightenment and run the enlightenment-install
    Log out and log back in, but no enlightenment option.

Whenever I log out, I went to the command line (run level 3), so I assumed that I restarted the X server too.

Thanks in advance.

JimH

Re:Enlightenment installation

Hmm, I thought Red Hat had shipped E with 7.3, but looking at the package list I guess they didn't.

Are you using a graphical (runlevel 5) or CLI (runlevel 3) login?

If you are using runlevel 5 then you can use the GDM configuration tool to add E to the list of options. It will be listed under your system menu.

If you are using runlevel 3 then edit ~/.Xclients-default and run E from there. Just replace whatever is there now with:

exec /full/path/to/enlightenment

You won't need the full path if the E executable is in your path already.

Jim H

yeah Jim, i don't believe it is packaged with it.

i just did this the other day myself. i think i got an RPM though which made it easier. anyways, here is the deal.
    1. you need to run at level three so that no X server starts. in run level 5, i believe X is automatically started, correct me if i am wrong here.
    do get to run level 3, log in and get to a prompt. at the prompt (as the supeuser) type /sbin/init 3

this will boot you out to the prompt entirely. then type logout. log in again and type enlightenment. that should start E, assuming it is installed properly :P.

i have tried myself to get E to show up as an option upon login when at level 5, but to no avail. i don't know why. maybe there is a file that i have to edit or something to make it show up, i have no idea.

lemme know how you make out.

Goodluck

Babbing

aluisius

I couldn't install Enlightenment from source. I'm not an advance 'nix system user. I'm still learning and hoping that someday I can rely on this great operating system.

Anyway, I finally installed E through RPM. I couldn't make the installation from source to work. I knew that I need fnlib, tried to install it. I thought I did. I was trying to install E through RPM, after installed fnlib from source, and it was still asking for fnlib.

I installed fnlib through RPM instead and then E also through RPM. Finally it worked. I can see E option on my window manager.

FYI: the computer is setup to have command line login (run level 3), so whenever I log out, it will shut down the x server. How do you change between KDE and GNOME then, since you don't have the graphical logon?

Thanks for all your help JimH and babbing. I am sure I will need your help again. Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

aluisius

Update:
    I rebooted the system and now I cannot change the window manager to any other options. I guess I have to live with E until I reinstall RedHat.

Addition:
    How can I change the theme anyway? I've tried to use the GNOME theme selector and add new theme but it won't let me add new E themes from freshmeat. The theme is for DR 0.16 or for DR 0.17 btw. It's a newbie question. Thanks.

JimH

After you login at the shell prompt type:

switchdesk GNOME

or

switchdesk KDE

Then just startx and you will be in whatever you selected.

I have not used E in years. I have no I dea how to change the theme. ch0c0b0 might know how. I think he was running E on his Gentoo install.

Jim H