Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL WOES HELP!

DMAN

DSL WOES HELP!

Hi,
    I just installed Mandrake 8.2 (better than 8.1) and I cannot get my dsl connection to work.
    It recognizes my ethernet card (3com Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI (3C905C-TX)), but it will not connect. I'm also using an Efficient Networks Speedstream 5360 Ethernet ADSL external modem. I don't know my DNS addresses because in XP Pro (my alternate OS) uses auto DNS. I would love to make Linux my primary OS. Please help! Thanks!

DMAN

Re:DSL WOES HELP!

;D
    Hello,
    I figured it out and am now surfing from Linux! Thanks anyway.
    ???
    Another thing that is plaguing me is that my sound doesn't work. I have a Soundblaster
    Live! - EMU10k1
    When I pull up soundmixer it says "invalid mixer "Creative SBLive - EMU10k1.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by DMAN
    ;D
    Hello,
    I figured it out and am now surfing from Linux! Thanks anyway.
    ???
    Coooool! I like this second thread this week where the user figured out the problem before we had a chance to respond. ;D

Another thing that is plaguing me is that my sound doesn't work. I have a Soundblaster
    Live! - EMU10k1
    When I pull up soundmixer it says "invalid mixer "Creative SBLive - EMU10k1.
    Is the module loading for your sound card?
    Post the output of: /sbin/lsmod

Jim H

DMAN

It shows modules: size: used by not tainted
    emu10k1 57984 0
    sound 57292 0 [emu10k1]
    soundcore 4068 7 [emu10k1 sound]

So I guess it's loading the module...
    Just a reminder, I have no idea how to use the terminal or commands.
    Please describe in the simplest terms.
    Thanks for your immediate response however.

Spot

You didn't mention what window manager (kde, gnome, etc) you're using nor which mixer, so I'm going to assume you're using KDE and kmix. If that's not the case, then there's not much I can tell you.

First thing I would do is this:
    Temporarily create a new user and log in as that user so you can test things out.
    Then bring up the mixer for the new user and see if it opens up ok.

If it does, then it's simple - go back to the old user and sift through the /home/olduser/.kde directory and subdirectories and dump anything you see having to do with kmix (kmixrc and files like that). It would be best if you were able to do this from the command line if possible, as to avoid any conflicts (since kde likes to have everything running all the time in the background). This will reset all the mixer settings back to the defaults and give you a fresh start for the mixer - hopefully this will work, as it's prolly the simplest way to go.

Hopefully this will take care of things, if not, we can prolly move on from there.

DMAN

Actually I move back and forth from KDE and Gnome, and I guess kmix is the default I use. I will try that and if I have any probs then I will post another message.
    Thanks

DMAN

Wait a minute...how do I make a new user?
    Remember I'm new to this even though I figured some things out on my own.
    Thanks

DMAN

I don't think I'm using kmix or even have it installed. What other mixers would i have and how do i find them?

Spot

You would use Userdrake for admin user functions, it's in your menus under Config somewhere. I believe it's available thru the Mandrake Control Center as well.
    As far as mixers go, you're most likely using kmix under KDE, it's part of the kde multimedia packages, and possibly aumix under gnome - I can't say for sure as I don't use gnome.
    You might try opening them from a terminal window and noting what errors show up there, since the gui error messages don't provide much info.

DMAN

OK did that...still no sound.
    Anything else that might help me?
    I ran the config tool in control center and it sees my sound card, but still no sound. The sound is starting up and running...All my sound volumes are up...as far as I know.
    Appreciate anything else that you could suggest.