Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Generic Realtek 8139 and RH 7.3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generic Realtek 8139 and RH 7.3

JimH

Re:Generic Realtek 8139 and RH 7.3

Check /etc/modules.conf and make sure this is there:

alias eth0 8139too

If it still doesnt want to load the mii module first for some reason add:

pre-install 8139too mii

then do: modprobe eth0
    and post the exact error message.

Look in /var/log/messages for any errors referring to your nic and post them. It almost sounds like the nic is not being recognized by the kernel. Check the output of:

/sbin/lspci -v

See if an IRQ is being assigned to it or possibly if the IRQ it is on is being shared with another device. Maybe the other device is blocking the nic from being seen.

Jim H

dissekj

Here is the error message I get after the pre-install line is added:

sh: mii: command not found
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-5/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o: pre-install 8139too failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-5/kernel/drivers/net/mii.o: insmod eth0 failed

I quickly looked at /var/log.messages but didnt see anything useful (I'll look closer later)

lspci showed that the NIC was sharing an IRQ with the vid card, so I removed the NIC and changed its PCI slot. This got it on a different IRQ, but the results are the same (with or without the pre-install line in modules.conf)

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by dissekj
    Here is the error message I get after the pre-install line is added:

sh: mii: command not found
    Hmm, remove the pre-install line. The way that command functions seems to have changed since I last used it. I am going to have to look into that.

This is a PCI NIC right?

Jim H

dissekj

Yep, it is a PCI NIC.