Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Problem recognizing partitions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem recognizing partitions

JimH

Re:Problem recognizing partitions

The output of sfdisk -l shows partition numbers that are skipped as being empty. i.e. you don't have an hda3 or hda4.

There is no entry for hda3 in your current fstab. You are all set.

Jim H

stodgel

Thanks. I was just wondering, Under the mnt directory I have the following:

cdrom
    cdrom2
    disk
    floppy
    win_c
    win_d
    win_e
    win_f
    win_g
    win_h
    win_i
    win_j
    windows

win_c and win_d were nothing at all, so I deleted them. Everything is still ok. windows is actually the windows C drive and win_j is actually the windows D drive. All of the other letters are correct. Can I somehow rename those so that they will be win_c and win_d respectively? There actually is no j drive any longer. There was before I re-installed the windows hard drive.

you will have to rename them in the /etc/fstab file as well
    so this:
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_j vfat defaults 0 0
    will have to become this:
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat defaults 0 0
    etc, then you can delete the un needed mount points

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

stodgel

Maybe it's the part about the un needed mount points that went wrong. I tried what you suggested except I'm not quite sure about the mount points. What do I do exactly. I renamed everything in fstab the way that it actually is, but I got a failed message at startup that said "/mnt/win_c does not exist" and "/mnt/win_d does not exist". I also noticed that in the /mnt directory they were still the same but I couldn't access them. I guess that's where deleting the mount points comes in. Anyway I put them back the way they were so I can at least access them now. If you could just clarify that for me I would very much appreciate it.
    Thanks.

JimH

If you deleted win_c and win_d under /mnt, you need to add them again. Since you are trying to use them again. Thats is why you got the error after you changed fstab.

You don't need to reboot after changing fstab. If you had not done anything yet you could have just:

umount /mnt/windows
    umount /mnt/win_j

Then edit you fstab. If I understand right you wanted to do this:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat defaults 0 0

Then you could delete /mnt/windows and /mnt/win_j
    Then remount the partitions

mount /mnt/win_c
    mount /mnt/win_d

Jim H

stodgel

OK 8) 8) 8)
    Thank you very much. Now I got it. Everything is perfect now. Just the way it should be, everything in the right order. That was a good lesson to learn, for me, I really appreciate the help.

Mike

JimH

Coooool! 8)

Learning how to edit fstab and create mount points is really a good thing to know.

Jim H