Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Superuser Path - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superuser Path

Re:Superuser Path

!slap Aaron_Adams
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Adams
    <cough> Slackware!! <cough> <grumble> <grumble>

:
    LOL. I beat you to the convert Aaron.

Jim H

WarLockLord

It should be noted in bold that Slackware is not for newbies.

note: SLACKWARE IS NOT FOR NEWBIES
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    note: SLACKWARE IS NOT FOR NEWBIES
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    I don't know about that really.

Although I did see some things in the 8.1 installer that might confuse a newbie, I really didn't see any huge problems. Getting X running might cause a newbie some problems.

Other distro's still would probably be a better option for newbies.

Jim H

Aaron_Adams

It should be noted that until you try slackware, you shouldn't voice an opinion on it's difficulty level. I think anyone that's actually done a slackware install, knows it's just as easy as any other distro. My brother who's never used linux before, borrowed a cd and installed it fine with no help from me.

I don't know why there is this Urban Legend surrounding the complexity of the installation, unless you _need_ to choose a skin for your installation, then you shouldn't have a problem. Also I don't see why people are so afraid of "reading text" instead of having big flashy images... I hope everyones not reading picture books still

I agree that it makes you do everything yourself which may be more complex, but personally I think that's better for a newbie.

WarLockLord

Point well taken, however, for me the installation was easy until I had to pick from a list of kernels that I had no clue what they were. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong one, dumb luck? newbie luck? stupidity? call it what you want, but I still feel if you are new to the Linux game Slackware is not one to start with.

Aaron_Adams

I can understand why the kernel choice would have been difficult. Isn't there a recommended default kernel though? I recall using that when I installed on my girlfriends laptop? I'm still using 8.0, so I don't remember offhand.

Sorry to hear you didn't make it through the install : / I recommend trying it again sometime though.

WarLockLord

I did not see a default to choose from, rather I had a choice to use the kernel on the bootdisk (?, downloaded the ISO), choose from a list on the CD or Cancel. I would be happy to try again, a search of Slackware's site did produce some information but it just was not connecting.

JimH

When I installed 8.1 I don't recall it recommending a kernel to install. I only remember the installer saying "you must install one kernel". :P

Jim H