Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Superuser Path
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Superuser Path

WarLockLord

Superuser Path

Ok, if the user path is stored in /etc/profile, Where is the Superuser path stored?? I sure would like to find the file so I can change the sucker!!!

Thanx in advance.

Re:Superuser Path

you can add to the user path also by editing the file ~/.bash_profile
    so if you add stuff to /root/.bash_profile, you will be able to change it

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

WarLockLord

When I edited the file /root/.bash_profile there was no PATH statement listed. I put a statement of PATH=...., saved and rebooted - nothing happened. I am using a Libranet distro, maybe root PATH is stored somewhere else?

Thanx again for your help.

it should be something like export PATH=$PATH:/what/ever/else
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

WarLockLord

Could not get it to change the su path. Must be set some place else.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by WarLockLord
    Ok, if the user path is stored in /etc/profile, Where is the Superuser path stored?? I sure would like to find the file so I can change the sucker!!!
    Both the user path and superuser path should be in /etc/profile.

Whay are you trying to change it?

Jim H

WarLockLord

Well I will explain, in my quest to make things work under Linux, (peer-to-peer, gaim, etc) I noticed that when I loaded programs as user they would sometimes install, however, when I loaded them as SU they rarely loaded. Further, I noticed, for example, Java could be found as user but not as SU, this struck me as very odd. Going in circles is not something I have done since my days with DOS, and here I was going in circles, trying to do, what I have become used to, the simple things such as load a program, update a program, or add buttons to the taskbar. Anyways, it dawned on me one night, DOS, maybe the paths were different. So I spent some time searching on the web, and lo and behold the 'set' command shows among other things PATH. And wouldn't you know it the PATH of user was different than SU, not even similar. So, I thought maybe if I could make them the same, I could get stuff to install and maybe even get a "global" install rather than a "user" install.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by WarLockLord
    And wouldn't you know it the PATH of user was different than SU, not even similar.
    They are supposed to be different and are that way for a reason. It is called security. Emulating windoze when it comes to system security is ....well... :P

On a linux system only the root user is allowed to install anything globally. You are doing something that is not "the linux way" of doing things.

Can you describe how you are installing programs, so we can figure out what you are doing wrong.

Jim H

WarLockLord

First, there were two programs that I wanted to add, one an update (gaim), and the second an install (LimeWire). Let's leave the update alone for now since that seems to be different than a clean install. LimeWire comes as a .bin file, I have learned that to execute a .bin file you need to issue the command ./<file name>.bin. I have deduced from trial and error that to install a program globally you need to be signed in as root (su). Before remembering about PATHs, I executed the ./LimeWire.bin file as su at the Eterm command line, and received the error message that you needed Java Virtual Machine installed on the computer. Well, I knew that Java was installed because I installed it, out of habbit, prior to installing StarOffice, even though it seems that Linux StarOffice does not support it. I then signed out as su and signed in as user and got the same error message. This process is what led me to the issue of PATH. I found where the user PATH is stored, and changed the user PATH to include the exact location of the JavaVM, made sure I was signed in as user and the program installed. This, is what led me to find out what, where, why and how the su PATH is stored. What follows are both PATHs as they currently show using the set command at the Eterm command line signed in as user and superuser:

userPATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/java/j2re1.4.0_01/bin:usr/lib:/home/matt:/usr/games

suPATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin/X11

Program files that are downloaded are saved to: /home/matt/downloads.

I am using a distro from Libranet, I also have downloaded the latest distro from Mandrake. Maybe I should change?

Thanks for all your help!!

JimH

Well lets try and figure out how Libranet sets the path.

Is there a directory named /etc/profile.d?

If there is see here.
    http://www.getlinuxonline.com/yabbse...y;threadid=845

Post a copy of /etc/profile. I want to see the contents.

Jim H