Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

XP to Redhat via Samba?

Thread: XP to Redhat via Samba?

XP to Redhat via Samba?

Has anyone attempted to use Samba between Linux and XP yet? If so I would really like some setup help to include file sharing from the XP box to the Linux (not the other way) and more importantly printer sharing where the printer is attached to the XP box.

Thanks,

Ras

Good Guru

Re:XP to Redhat via Samba?

I actually heard that there were problems with XP and Samba when XP was released. I would have to check Samba's website for compatibility. I would suspect that they have it corrected.

Good Guru

Apparently XP can connect, and the problem was resolved. Please post your smb.conf file so I can take a look at it. And BTW -- once we get Win->Linux working the other way isnt very difficult, if at all, to get working.

Cool I am gonna actually get to print from Linux without buying another printer. My SMB.conf is the generic one. I have not attempted to setup Samba since I installed RH 7.3 Perhaps this may end up being a good thing (generic .conf)

More later, I am having bigger problems with RH not booting now.

Ras

Good Guru

Stop being mean to my hat! IT will boot for you then! ;D

What happened? RH has always booted (well, not true -- my PSU barfed a bit back, and didnt like to keep my PC stable long enough for the boot to complete) for me.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=4110;start=0#40834 date=1026314701]
    Stop being mean to my hat! IT will boot for you then! ;D

What happened? RH has always booted (well, not true -- my PSU barfed a bit back, and didnt like to keep my PC stable long enough for the boot to complete) for me.
    [/quote]

Monday Night during a Lightning storm I decided to shutdown. (GOOD THING) My system was locked up at the screen saver (BAD THING). So I did a reset. Last night I decided to bring up RH and it actually loaded but things were really wierd, Mozilla, Netscape and Galeon would not load and finally when Netscape did the netscape logo was attached to my mouse. Yeah annoying little ships wheel all over the screen. I did another reset and this is what happened..

Now when it trys to load it does this
    /boot Blah Blah.... something about diary or you know
    /home .................................................. ..................

20 Minutes later I got tired of watching a steady hard drive light. So I did a reset.....

I Fear I am staring at a complete reinstall (THAT SUCKS again having to rebuild my webpages...)

Any thoughts?
    Also when I installed RH 7.3 (Clean install) I get the following

Invalid system disk hit return to continue
    Return
    boots into grub

I tried to run grub again but it did not fix it.

Thanks,
    Ras

Good Guru

well, for shits and giggles -- do a fsck on the drive(s). It cant hurt can it? Then I would move your data in your home directory and vape all the configuration files/folders or use another login to see if the apps are just borked for your account, or globally.

My thinking is perhaps during the lock and reboot and reboot, there may have been a library that got screwed up, but to be sure try my ideas. If its a library -- that can be a fun one to diagnose exactly which one.....