Thread: Wine

mugs

Wine

I am trying to use Wine. I already have it on my machine, although I am not sure it is the latest version. So, question #1...I downloaded and tried to install the newest, but it said it was in conflict with CodeWeavers Wine. How do I update it or remove what I have and start over?

I tried to use it, but it kept telling me that, for example, notepad.exe could not be found.

The config file doesnt seem to be where it should be and I am unable to edit it.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I feel that getting Wine to work will go a long way in convincing my wife to give Linux a try..as it stands now, we are constantly rebooting the machine...she for windoze, me for Linux :P

mugs

Re:Wine

Hmm, I thought JimH or someone would have responded by now, asking me to send a file for them to view or something like that....? Help!

Spot

You might have a look here if'n you haven't already:
    http://www.franksworld.net/wine/

Aaron_Adams

You're running RH? You could try and uninstall wine via rpm ( or however it's installed) and then just reinstall which ever version you want.

My experience with it is with winex via transgaming.com.

I got it working fine by downloading the source via CVS. After that I entered the wine dir it downloaded and installed it as root using the command `$ . /tools/wineinstall`

When it asked me to install the config file etc, I said no. Then I ran it again as my regular user and it skipped the installation and asked me right away if I wanted to install the config file and registry etc. Which I said yes to.

Other then that I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it :-\

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    Hmm, I thought JimH or someone would have responded by now, asking me to send a file for them to view or something like that....? Help!
    I have to be online before I can answer.

I don't use wine. I know practically nothing about it. I have only glanced at it a few times.

I don't consider the use of wine to be beneficial to the future of Linux. It may help users in the short term to run applications they require under Linux, that may not be currently available under Linux. But in the long term it does nothing to promote the creation of native Linux applications. Running windoze applications under wine will never provide the speed, reliability, or full capabilities of native applications. Wine just gives the software makers another reason not to write native Linux applications.

Jim H