View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: linux and windows xp

wrffan

linux and windows xp

Hi, I am looking for help with dual boot system. Is there a way to install redhat on a pc with the existing windows xp without reformating the drive. Basically I am looking for a tool similar to the fips which works only with FATs sparing me the effort of reinstalling windows.Thanks,MP

jasonjwebman

Re:linux and windows xp

hey, i have a friend at my school who put redhat 7.3 on his sony laptop with win xp and used partition magic to resize his partitions since redhat cant resize an xp partition. not sure what he did to get it to work but it can be done without loosing your data. it can be downloaded for free trial off the internet. hope that helps.

wrffan

can you be little more specific? I could not find anything on the web. Thnkx
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjwebman
    hey, i have a friend at my school who put redhat 7.3 on his sony laptop with win xp and used partition magic to resize his partitions since redhat cant resize an xp partition. not sure what he did to get it to work but it can be done without loosing your data. it can be downloaded for free trial off the internet. hope that helps. ;)

jason: the demo of pm doesn't actually work, it lets you go as far as the partition now button, then stops.

sorry, wrffan, i don't think linux partition progs can partition ntfs.
    if you really need to keep the install, you might want to purchase a copy of partition magic. it can be a handy tool to have around.

is the windows partition actually an ntfs one? because it _may_ be fat, which means that the linux install application will have no problem partitioning the drive.
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    sorry, wrffan, i don't think linux partition progs can partition ntfs.
    Correct there are not any.

Jim H

mugs

I have XP and Suse 8.0. I tried doing it on one drive with Partition Magic but ran into problems since I had XP with NTFS. So, I purchased a separate hard drive and it works great. So, just a suggestion.

it might have been the verson of partition magic.
    xp prolly has a new version of ntfs, so you need the latest ver of partition magic
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mugs

I do have the latest version of Partition Magic, but I was told that it can be very difficult to repartition XP with NTFS. So, I just got another hard drive. I am happy with the way it is set up. I try real hard not to use Windows anymore. I am trying to convince my wife to do the same. I can just about do anything I need to in Linux, except use my scanner, so far.

Hooch

I dual boot both XP and Suse on the same drive but to be honest I can't tell you how I did it.

I've been dual booting ever since I bought this PC (and the PC before it) and I originally had Win98. I know for certain that I used partitionmagic back then.

I want to say that when I installed WinXP it just installed over the Win98 partition but I don't know for sure. I'm pretty sure my version of PM is too old for XP but it might have done the trick.

Just wanted to say that I dual boot between WinXP Professional and Suse 7.2 with no problems so I know its possible. I use the boot manager that comes with Suse.

Just a warning... Partion Magic is CRAP! With Windows, it is fine, but does not resize Linux Partitions. It LOOKS like it works, but after you hit the LILO boot screen and choose Linux, you may (if your system was set up the same as mine) get the message "could not find /home directory, KDE cannot start" Just a warning. I ended up, instead of having 98SE, XP Pro, and Mandrake 9 on the same HD (then have another HD for data), I had to put 98SE, and XP Pro on the my first HD, then put Mandrake on the 2nd HD. I am a complete linux newbie, so needless to say, the past week has been a nightmare. BUT all is good now. If I only knew the structure of Linux to be able to get it to do what I can do in Windows, I could get rid of Gates forever!
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache