Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life Trouble

Gybbyl

Half-Life Trouble

I just converted from Windows to Redhet (loving it), so bare with me here.

Ok, i downloaded the WINE RPM and installed it, and it worked fine. Then i installed Half-Life from the cd, which also worked like a dream. I entered my cdkey, and BAM! "Half-Life requires a 16 bit color. Please change your desktop settings to HiColor. Sometimes this is called "32767 colors" or "65535 color". So i gathered a little more info, and did this:

Backed up my XF86Config file, and started editing the original. I found a whole bunch of stuff about monitors in it, but i dont want to mess anything up, cause of my Newbieness.

Thank you for your time.

JimH

Re:Half-Life Trouble

What kind of video card?

Example from my XF86Config-4. The "DefaultDepth" setting is what you need to change.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "ATI|Radeon 7500 QW"
    Monitor "ViewSonic PS790"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Jim H

so how did you get it all installed? did you put it under the wine dirs? did you use wineX? and o, i thought wine came with RH? it is gonna be my next project :P

Just a note : make sure you are editing XF86Config-4, not XF86Config

Was a mistake i made : - No wonder nuffin was happenin
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by friskydrifter
    Just a note : make sure you are editing XF86Config-4, not XF86Config
    With the next Red Hat release XFree86 3.x is being removed and the use of XF86Config-4 is being depreciated. XF86Config will be used in the release for XFree86 4.x.

Jim H

:P i was wondering what the point of it was... ???

Alright I am in the process of installing Half Life for Redhat 7.3 right now.....so far I am not totally impressed, OpenGL is not working, so I have uninstalled wine and downloaded the latest version and am about to try it soon....we'll see if that fixes it....
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

goodluck, i would be curious to see how the latest halflife servers 'deal' with linux users. when i last played, it was a hassle to connect, and i had to use unsecure servers.

btw, if you like HL, Try Cube. it Rawks! it's got a cool graphics engine too

I am having piss poor luck on this damn thing.....I had to completely restart Linux because the OpenGL did something to my video card and my entire screen was ascii characters, couldn't do anything to get out of it, all the tty's were that way...augh, what a biatch.....I am not impressed with wine, and the latest cvs frome winex doesn't compile

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Well I finally got it going, I had to download the latest version of winex from transgaming.com which actually cost me money, 5 bucks, but it is for a good cause I guess. I got it all set up and it works, the menu's are shoddy but the gameplay is fine except I seem to be having really bad luck with my fps, but I am getting that with glxgears as well....it is really quite annoying......

[Aragorn@localhost Half-Life]$ glxgears
    3515 frames in 5.0 seconds = 703.000 FPS
    4234 frames in 5.0 seconds = 846.800 FPS
    4223 frames in 5.0 seconds = 844.600 FPS
    4225 frames in 5.0 seconds = 845.000 FPS
    4222 frames in 5.0 seconds = 844.400 FPS
    4229 frames in 5.0 seconds = 845.800 FPS

grrrrrr it should be well over 1500 FPS, I don't understand. I went back to an older version fo the nvidia drivers, and that didn't do anything....only thing I can play around with now is the XF86Config-4 file
    :'(

Aragorn