Thread: XDSL and Linux (RedHat)

Bogler

XDSL and Linux (RedHat)

I have been thinking about upgrading my dialup to DSL.

What experiences have people had getting DSL to work?

What kit is the best, i have read that usb based DSL modems can be problematic but that they do work. I see that Alcatel have Linux drivers on their website.

Am i better to go for an ethernet modem or router providing firewalling etc?

I want to make the correct decision, the choics out there are pretty confusing. I would like a solution that lets me add more boxes in the future.

Also, are there any documents that provide an overview (perhaps of a RH slant) that provide help on this subject area. I have tried the RedHat site but once again it lets me down.

Any advice greatfully received

Bogler

jasonjwebman

Re:XDSL and Linux (RedHat)

Hey bogler, i have earthlink for dsl and have had zero problems with it since day one. i am running RH7.3 and all i had to do was run internet druid (internet connection wizard) under system in the k menu and put in my username and password and that was it. runs great, get 1220 download speeds, no drop offs, no hassles. you should be able to get any dsl connection to work under RH, do not know what version you are running but from a shell prompt just type in internet druid and click on xdsl and go from there. didnt need to download drivers or anything, worked right out of the box. hope that helps. http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...de/ch-ppp.html

Jason ;D ;D

mugs

I also have Earthlink and it works great with Linux. I have Suse 8.0. I installed it and the internet worked with NO configuration at all (I have a router). I have an ethernet modem.

JimH

I would avoid USB or PCI DSL modems. Especially anything that requires binary or even open source drivers that must be downloaded from the manufacturers website.

Ethernet based DSL modems are by far the best choice.

Jim H

Bogler

Can anyone suggest a decent ADSL Ethernet Modem at an affordable price. Apparently i need a "WAN" connector on it (whatever that means), i got this informative information from my ISP.

What a hassle it is to get them to provide information on anything other then M$.

Groan

Bogler :-\

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Bogler
    What a hassle it is to get them to provide information on anything other then M$.
    I can believe it. >

Best thing might be to try and find another linux user who has a DSL connection from the same provider you are considering and see what they are using. Might try contacting your local LUG, if there is one.

Unfortunately I don't anything about UK DSL providers. :'(

Jim H

Bogler

I have decided to go for demon (UK ISP provider) and the best thing is they're Linux friendly!!!!

I have a question though..... Do i go for the service with NAT od Non-NAT? I understand NAT to be Network Address Translation, if i decide not to opt for this does it mean that i won't be able to Masquerade to internally networked machines??

They say that i can hook up Internet accessible servers if i use the non-NAT service, this sounds pretty good. I would eventually like to run my own mail and dns boxes.. all in the future.

Can someone explain the difference between a NAT and Non-NAT service...

www.demon.net

Thanks
    Bogler ;D

JimH

I would definitely go with the non-nat service.

It sounds like they are running out of IP addresses and setting up their customers behind an NAT router to conserve addresses.

NAT bascially allows multiple computers to use a single IP address.

Jim H