Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Networking

Thread: Networking

phawkes51

Networking

Dr P Hawkes MB Bay Village Medical Centre Bateau Bay NSW 2261 Australia 4307 Bay Village, 2261 Phone; (02) 4334 3222 Fax; (02) 4333 1663

Can anyone help. We are a small medical practice running a Windows based program “Medical Director” on a windows 98 peer-to-peer Network with a Linux server Corel version. We would like to update to XP on the workstations for its stability. We had bad experience with Windows 2000 running on the network last year with multiple crashes [which may or may not have been related to the difference that Linux and windows handles dates]. I have also heard on the grapevine that windows 2000 had a lot of incompatibilities with linux and I don’t know if XP has the same problem. We have tried Windows XP recently on one of our workstations but the medical program has crashed 3 days running requiring a database fix files. I think it uses a foxpro database engine. Can anyone help with information, or better still does anyone in the Sydney Central coast area in Australia have Linux – windows networking experience and can help us with setup

JimH

Re:Networking

Quote Originally Posted by phawkes51
    on a windows 98 peer-to-peer Network with a Linux server Corel version.
    Obsolete version of Linux. What do you use this server for?

Jim H

phawkes51

jim - We use the Linux machine purely as a file server. I realise the Linux version is outdated what is the best Linux version at present?

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by phawkes51
    jim - We use the Linux machine purely as a file server. I realise the Linux version is outdated what is the best Linux version at present?
    The "best Linux version" is whatever does the job for you. Of course in my completely biased opinion Red Hat.

A change to any other Linux version is going to be a major one. This is not something to jump into blindly. Especially if the file server is important.

I would setup a test box on your network running whatever version of Linux you choose and make sure everything works the way you want before even considering the change.

What kind of file server? Samba? I assume you have Windows clients?

Jim H