Thread: Monitor

andrew645

Monitor

I am a complete novice trying to get going. I have installed Red Hat 7.2 but am unable to get my display working. My monitor (Tiny M-T7F22) is unlisted and I've tried all the generics and just about everything else. My video card (nvidia MX440) is also unlisted so I entered nVidia GeForce. My system mames my monitor as Raster but I've tried them all. The monitor is 2-3 years old so should be ok. Any advice would be gratefully received. Regards, Andrew

Bogler

Re:Monitor

The card you have is a nvidia.
    Have you downloaded the driver files from the www.nvidia.com site, try installing these and configuring your XF86Config-4 file and that should work.

There are instructions on this site (look fir installing a nvidia card in the OMP section)as how to go about this, there are also instructions at the nvidia site. It's fairly simple and gives you a taste of getting something working on your box!

Hopefully we'll have you up and running soon.. Welcome to GLO.

Bogler

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Bogler
    There are instructions on this site (look fir installing a nvidia card in the OMP section)as how to go about this, there are also instructions at the nvidia site. It's fairly simple and gives you a taste of getting something working on your box!
    Aragorn needs to update those instructions. They are getting slightly old.

Jim H

andrew645

Thanks to both for advice. I'm off to give it a go! drew

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Aragorn needs to update those instructions. They are getting slightly old.

Jim H
    maybe ill get round to it in the weekend
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

andrew645

T :'(hanks to all for advice. However I confess I'm still struggling. I went to the nVidia site (via Windows) but for some reason it wouldn't download. It attempted to download under Realplayer(!) of all things. I did manage by trial and error to get crude graphics up on Linux, but the resolution was such I could only view about a quarter of a page and couldn't drag it any more once the blue dragline went offscreen. I also managed to run Xconfigurator but it wouldn't recognise my card. Any way I can reduce the page size onscreen? Then I might be able to load my internet access and download via Linux. Does anyone know if BTinternet discs load under Linux? All suggestions most gratefully received! Regards, Drew

Bogler

You should be able to get the drivers for you card, sounds like something wrong with your setup.

Just goto nvidia.com, then drivers, linux and download the drivers for your distribution by right clicking on them and selecting save target as.

THere is also an NVchooser script which you can run on your system and it'll tell you exactly which packages you should be downloading.

If not someone else may make them available via ftp for you.

Keep trying you'll get them in the end.

Bogler

Bogler

Andrew if you message me your mail address i'll send the relevant files to you by mail.

Bogler

andrew645

Thanks for advice, sorry for delay in responding but site seemed to be down for a while. Bogler, if you could send me the files, I'd be very grateful. Card is nVidia GeForce4 MX440. Address is andrew64@btinternet.com
    I don't know why I've been unable to download, but I appreciate your helping out. Regards, Drew