Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Masquarade

Bogler

Re:Masquarade

I have a scripts which Masq's bit its ipchains and not iptables. I wanted to get an iptables script going.

What sound drivers are you running? If the correct entries are in /etc/modules.conf they should load on boot.

I am running oss drivers, i have to type /usr/lib/oss/soundon as root to get them going.. I suppose i could put this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local?

chkconfig --level 35 smb on

I think i am beginning to understand.. the chkconfig command tells the OS what service to start at what stage of boot.

I thought that there would be a config file containing links which would run the required services (services contained in /etc/rc.d/init.d), i was trying to find this file. I wanted to comment out ipchains and add iptables.

Anyway, i have supbsequently found out how these are controlled i.e. from the iptables and ipchains scripts contained within /etc/sysconfig. These files are sourced at the beginning of service execution. The overall service i.e. iptables can be inserted into the boot process with the chkconfig command. I presume?

Apologies for the confusing post..

Bogler

Hey i havent been here for a while but after readin this got me thinkin. When i run setup i can disable ipchains and enable iptables, this seems to make it run at boot. But i was wondering which files does setup edit when it does this?

prolly give bogler the answer to his questions as well?

Ah well cheers
    Frisky
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Bogler
    I have a scripts which Masq's bit its ipchains and not iptables. I wanted to get an iptables script going.
    Link to the iptables script you have?

I am running oss drivers, i have to type /usr/lib/oss/soundon as root to get them going.. I suppose i could put this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local?
    Yes, you can do that.

I thought that there would be a config file containing links which would run the required services (services contained in /etc/rc.d/init.d)
    Yes, all the files to start the services you have installed are in /etc/rc.d/init.d.
    If you will notice in /etc/rc.d/ the directories rc0.d rc1.d rc2.d rc3.d rc4.d rc5.d rc6.d. Each one of these is for a different runlevel. The number indicating the runlevel, ie rc3.d is runlevel 3.

What chkconfig does is add/remove symlinks in the directories for the specific runlevels to the scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d.

The command "chkconfig --level 35 smb on" creates symlinks in rc3.d and rc5.d to the smb script in /etc/rc.d/init.d. When the system is booted/shutdown in a specific runlevel level the scripts in that directory are run. This is what starts/shutdowns the servcies.

Jim H

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by friskydrifter
    But i was wondering which files does setup edit when it does this?
    setup is just a frontend to access a bunch of different configuration utilities.

In this case setup is running the progam ntsysv. ntsysv is just an ncurses based frontend to the CLI command chkconfig.

Jim H

Bogler

I have a dialup

Where should i place my firewall script in order that is starts each time i invoke the ifup ppp1 command?

I can't start it at boot as i have no ip address (external).

I have tried placing it in ifup-post but it doesn't run it? I also put a couple of echo's in there but the script does not seem to be run at all during the ifup process.

The only thing i have changed is that the references to ipchains in the ifup-post script, i have changed to iptables as it is now the active packet filter and will be started at boot.

Thanks

Bogler

Bogler

P.S. System RedHat and script is called such

/etc/sysconfig/firewallscript start|restart|etc|etc

Bogler

JimH

Where should i place my firewall script in order that is starts each time i invoke the ifup ppp1 command?
    ifup-local for starting it and ifdown-local to shut it down.

I have tried placing it in ifup-post but it doesn't run it? I also put a couple of echo's in there but the script does not seem to be run at all during the ifup process.
    Strange that is where I used to put mine when I had dial-up

The only thing i have changed is that the references to ipchains in the ifup-post script, i have changed to iptables as it is now the active packet filter and will be started at boot.
    Editing that script is not required to use the default iptables startup script in Red Hat. Editing these scripts is usually not recommended, because if an upgrade was released for initscripts you would have to go back and edit the file again.

Jim H

Bogler

I don't seem to have the ifup-local and ifdown-local scripts..

[root@david network-scripts]# locate ifup
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-aliases
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ippp
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ipv6
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-isdn
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-plip
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-plusb
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-sit
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-sl
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-cipcb
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ipx
    /sbin/ifup

Still trying to get it to start/stop after the ppp0 interface has been activated.

Thanks again

Bogler

JimH

I don't seem to have the ifup-local and ifdown-local scripts..
    I know. You have to create them yourself. These files are used so you can put your commands in them. That way if initscripts is upgraded you don't have to edit your scripts again.

ifup-local is sourced at the end of ifup-post and itdown-local is sourced after ifdown-post.

Look at the end of ifup-post and ifdown-post you will see the entries.

Jim H

Bogler

I am getting confused

I have tried the ifup-local and if-down local files in /sbin and this doesn't work. I am pretty sure that the ifup-post file is not being run.

My firewall echos text to the screen and i just aint seeing it. I have tried placing "tactical" echos in many scripts to see what's happening... to no avail.

I really don't know what files are being run. I have even placed echos in the /etc/ppp/ip-up and created an ip-up.local file. Basicaly i'm running out of ideas.

All i want to do is start my firewall when the dialup interface comes up.

When i run /sbin/ifup-local, the firewall starts no problem. I just need to know where to place this command. I have tried an if-then-else in ifup-post with a value for the variable firewall (i created) in ifcfg-ppp1 but no joy.

Frustrating...mmmmmmm
    Bogler
    ???