Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Samba

Samba

i have a done a bit of reading on samba, but it jsut isn't coming together. i know what i want, just not how to get it. i am networked, through a router to three other windoze machines. i want to be able to share with them, and have them be able to share with me. is this a simple setup that just slipped me, or not? how would i go about this?

Bogler

Re:Samba

I take it that you want your Linux box to be the samba server.
    You'll need smb-server installed, this is an rpm that came with RH. Once that's installed go to /etc/samba/smb.conf and configure it for you system.

There is a HOWTO at linuxdoc.org. Anyway, you must create samba users and assign them a password, this is done with the smbpasswd command. Do a man smbpasswd.

Depending on which version of Windows you have you 'll have to make a couple of minor changes to the registry settings, the HOWTO will explain this.

I have found that SAMBA needs som playing around with to get it to run properly, you can't go wrong with the HOWTO it takes you through the whole procedure step by step.

This is mostly from memory.

Hope it helps

Bogler

thanks a lot man, i had hoped to do a bit o tinkering. we will see how i do
    ;D

ok, here is my first question. where are the smb and nmb deamons? i don't seem to have them, or they aren't in the right place. i am told they are in etc/sbin, but they aren't there. i am pretty sure that samba is installed upon installation of valhalla, but i don't know. any ideas?

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by babbing
    ok, here is my first question. where are the smb and nmb deamons? i don't seem to have them, or they aren't in the right place. i am told they are in etc/sbin, but they aren't there.
    Their startup script is usually called smb, and if it's installed, you'll find it in /etc/rc.d/init.d/
    i am pretty sure that samba is installed upon installation of valhalla, but i don't know. any ideas?
    You can verify this by the following command:
    rpm -qa |grep samba
    you should see something like this:
    [spot@halb spot]$ rpm -qa |grep samba
    samba-common-2.2.3a-6
    samba-swat-2.2.3a-6
    samba-2.2.3a-6
    samba-client-2.2.3a-6

btw...if you don't have swat installed, it's not a huge deal...thogh it is an excellent configuration tool...the line-by-line help system is superb.

JimH

To run Samba, as the root user.

/sbin/service smb start

If you make any configuration changes to smb.conf after you start Samba, you must restart Samba for the changes to take effect.

/sbin/service smb restart

Spot,

The only thing really wrong with Swat is that is takes over your smb.conf. If you hand edit smb.conf then run swat it wipes it clean. :P

Jim H

here is what i do get when i run rpm -qa |grep samba :
    samba-common-2.2.3a-6
    samba-client-2.2.3a-6
    i seem to be missing something. What can i do?
    i also get:
    smb: unrecognized service

JimH

You are missing the Samba server. You need to install it from your cd's or use up2date.

up2date samba

or

Mount the cd samba is on, change to the directory where the samba rpm is and:

rpm -Uvh samba-2.2.3a-6.i386.rpm

Jim H

perfect, i am up and going! this last question is for style points. how do i change the name of my machine from localhost to something else?

just, seemingly, one last question. i manually edited my services file to say swat 901/tcp, but i don't seem to have inetd.conf. is says in the manual that i need to edit that to get swat operating. what can i do? ???