Thread: Slow mandrake

Foliage

Slow mandrake

I've just installed mandrake 8.2 on my computer but its not running that great. Everything seems slower than windows and several progams have crashed, not loaded or frozen.

This isn't something that has ever happened to me in Linux before so does any one have any ideas?

It was a fresh install and Im running it on a celeron 600@900, VIA chipset, 256mb, a 3 gig partition with 250mb for swap.

Im using 4.2.0 of Xfree and Ive gotten the latest nvidia drivers off their site. Also things like sounds aren't working either. I have checked and its got the correct devices selected but there is no sound.

Also it has detected 2 cd - roms (i have 1) one has scisi and the other as IDE. the IDE one has an unknow vendor and the scsi one is the only one that works.

Things like nautilus are really slow and jerky and the same with other browsing programs.

JimH

Re:Slow mandrake

Quote Originally Posted by Foliage
    This isn't something that has ever happened to me in Linux before so does any one have any ideas?
    Sounds like it is just something in drake 8.2 that doesn't like your box. What linux distro/version were you using before?

Have you tried looking at top to see if there is a runaway process that is using all your cpu cycles?

Jim H