Thread: Ack network card %&@$ up crap

cindir

Ack network card %&@$ up crap

Well this post is if you are up for a challenge.

http://lhd.zdnet.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?2219
    This is my network card type (and don't answer this post with "Buy a new one!" because want this one to work.)

I also read that LinkSys created many NE2000 clones so I recompiled my kernel with the drivers for NE2000 (I think that is right but you might want to double check that info)

But... it still dosen't even reconize the card and I don't have have any boot messages saying NE2000 not found or anything along those lines. ??? I'm still somwhat of a newbie but I could use alot of help here.
    Thanks Guys

Cindir

Spot

Re:Ack network card %&@$ up crap

1. What distro are you using?
    2. Check the file /etc/modules.conf (if it exists) and see if there's a line that contains: alias eth0
    a) If it does, please paste that entire line here
    b) If it doesn't
    -edit the file adding the line: alias eth0 tulip
    -then run the command: /sbin/modprobe eth0
    -(if no errors)you should then be able to configure the NIC via
    ifconfig or if there's a gui config tool included with your distro

note: the above will need to be done as root or su

Aaron_Adams

I think what you are going to want to do, is find and compile the tulip module, and then uncomment /sbin/modprobe tulip in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules so it probes for it on startup, etc.

I've heard of people having troubles with the tulip modules, so you may run into some problems. I'll try to find documentation on in it a little bit to double check in a little bit.

He is using Slackware btw. ( Woot! )

Aaron_Adams

Read through this site for info on the module, and installation.

cindir

Ok well I think I messed up somwhere in the kernel compile : beacause I reverted to my old kernel and it found the card no prolbems so I'm recompiling the kernel WITH the tulip drivers (I have recompiled soo many times I think I'll be a master before too long) but im not sure if that will fix everything soo I'll let you know how things go (my old dosen't work with sound otherwise I would use it)( [bare.i] the default on install I think) but thanks for the heads up on the prolbematic tulip drivers.

Aaron_Adams

Ya, recompiling the kernel with the tulip drivers should work fine. Remember to make sure /sbin/modprobe tulip is uncommented in rc.modules after the compile as well. If you are having sound problems/it's not working, it could be that it's not probing for your soundcard modules, in which case you can uncomment that line in rc.modules as well.

Anyway, good luck with the compile. Being able to compile kernels quickly and without error is a valuable skill!

cindir

Well my prolbem with the kernel recompile was I "assumed" that the #make Menuconfig would keep the previous settings of the current kernel but alas no it doesn't so i fixed one thing and then went to fix another and found the first was broken (very frustrating by the way) and so I'm hoping I got everything this time so i wont have to do this again for some time.