Thread: Blackbox RPM's for RH 7.3

JimH

Blackbox RPM's for RH 7.3

Yo,

If anyone is interested I made some blackbox 0.62-1 rpm's for RH 7.3.

You can Download them here

http://www.getlinuxonline.com/Downloads/RH7.3

Assuming you are running runlevel 3 you can set blackbox to be your desktop by replacing the entry in ~/.Xclients-default with this:

exec blackbox

Then just startx and you will be running blackbox. To switch back to the desktop you were using just change ~/.Xclients-default back to the way it was or use switchdesk.

The menu I included is really basic, so you will have to edit it for your own use. The file /usr/share/doc/blackbox-0.62.1/README.menu tells you have to create the menu for blackbox. The default menu is /usr/share/blackbox/menu. You can use it as a starting point.

Jim H

Re:Blackbox RPM's for RH 7.3

hey Jim h, what is a "blackbox"?

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by babbing
    hey Jim h, what is a "blackbox"?
    Blackbox is a fast, lightweight window manager. If you have slow, older hardware using Blackbox or one of the other smaller window managers can improve the speed of your system. Gnome and KDE can slow down older hardware quite a bit.

Jim H

a blackbox is the oppisite of a whitebox
    a whitebox is a computer bought off the street (as in from a shop), with no major name behind it, like compaq,hp etc. Like one that you might botch together from spare parts around the house.
    A blackbox usually started as a whitebox but has been extensivly modded by a techno-geek, usually with cool swag from thinkgeek.com, like the window kit (http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/3735.shtml) and painted black with a can of trusty spraypaint.
    hope this helps you understand it more

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

heh, neato, thanks, :::babbing gears are turning at the thought of a light weight WM:::

LiNuts

JimH, I downloaded and installed your rpm version of blackbox,. my question is this, is there a way to get the RedHat switch-desktop tool to recognise it,

It put the executable in /usr/X11R6/bin/ instead of /usr/bin/ ( I think thats why i cant get either the login manager or the switch-desktop tool to see it !!).

I can get to boot it through using WindowMaker, but i'd like to either go to it straight from the log-in or the switch-desktop tool.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Aaron_Adams

Hey LiNuts,

This is likely not the solution you're looking for, but it does work.

You can edit your ~/.xinitrc file to contain the following
    exec /usr/X11R6/bin/blackbox

If you put that as your first entry, it will be the default WM on login. Adding that might even make the switch desktop utitility work.

Hope that helps some.

Aaron

JimH

Aaron,

Red Hat does not use ~/xinitrc. ~/.Xclients-defaults has the same function on Red Hat. You can use still use ~/xinitrc, but you lose your ability to use Red Hat's config tools.

LiNuts,

The WM"s that switchdesk recognizes are hard coded into the it. Switchdesk will not automatically recognize any WM you install. Blackbox is not one of the WM's switchdesk supports. However it is very simple to add any WM you want o the CLI version of switchdesk. It is only a bash script. I have added WM's to the CLI version before.

The GUI switchdesks for Gnome and KDE are C and C++ programs respectively. You would have to modify the code. I have never looked at the code, but I image it would be pretty simple to add them.

If I get the time I will see about modifying Switchdesk for Blackbox, but I have not idea when that might be.

Jim H

LiNuts

O.K. I got it to boot from the login screen, I edited the .Xclients-default file which was pointing to wmaker, so i just pointed it to blackbox and relogged in as default.

Its not the best way to do it, but it works, now i have to work on how to get the login mamager to recognise blackbox ???

Cheers
    Linuts

heh, i hear you, i am working on that as well. Any progress?