Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Debian vs Gentoo...

Thread: Debian vs Gentoo...

Debian vs Gentoo...

Alright, this one is more for me since I just spent the better part of an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't change runlevels for a program on an Ubuntu (debian) system, when I never had any problem doing it in Gentoo. rc-update and update-rc, you think they could have named them a little more different.

Alright, for the last time: Pulled from here

Gentoo:
    # rc-update

To add the cupsd to the default runlevel, do:
    # rc-update add cupsd default

To remove alsasound from the boot runlevel, do:
    # rc-update del alsasound boot

Debian:
    # update-rc.d

Configure cupsd to be started in runlevels 2, 3, 4, 5, and stopped in 0, 1, 6, with sequence code 20:
    # update-rc.d cupsd start 20 2 3 4 5 . stop 20 0 1 6 .

Remove cupsd from all runlevels:
    # update-rc.d -f cupsd remove
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor
    what are cupsd? What are runlevels?
    Is that CUPS the print manager?
    My runlevel is flat-out all the time. Don't idle well anymore.

Advisor
    my suggestion is this:

learn about init, telinit, and runlevels as they *really* are. update-rc.d and rc-update are just stupid wrappers around the boot system, both gentoo and debian use a system-V type boot system, where you create symlinks in the directory for the runlevel

like, say you have /etc/init.d/shiteaters
    and you want it to start first thing if you go into runlevel 2 (the default on debian)

ln -s /etc/init.d/shiteaters /etc/rc2.d/S01shiteaters

then if you want to disable it later, just rename S01shiteaters to K01shiteaters

don't even bother with the crap-wrappers that they want you to use... it's stupid.

What do the prefixes do on the symlinks? I was going to just set them myself like you said here, but I wasn't sure what the S01 or K01 meant. I can guess that they are loaded in the order they are numbered, but what about the S and K?
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advisor
    S == run this one
    K == dont run this one

Sweet, that makes no sense, but its easy to remember. :-P
    jro -

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Error";p="6911
    what are cupsd? What are runlevels?
    Is that CUPS the print manager?
    My runlevel is flat-out all the time. Don't idle well anymore.
    cupsd = The printer deamon

runlevel = The state that your system starts up in. A text startup (for example) is one runlevel while a GUI startup is a different runlevel. I don't believe runlevels are quite common between operating systems (RedHat uses a different RL for GUI than Debian does, I think); so you have to find out what your RL's are for your system (Ubuntu).

I'm sure someone else can either correct, or clarify the concept though...
    Steve

Advisor
    the idea of runlevels is common amoung unixes, there are 2 basic approaches to bootup, BSD style (slackware) and SysV style (gentoo, debian, RH).

But as snct pointed out, different distro's use different runlevels for different things, RH uses runlevel 5 for GUI, and runlevel 3 for text, Debian uses runlevel 2 by default regardless. I dunno about gentoo, i forget.