Thread: koffice compile error

LiNuts

koffice compile error

i have installed kde3, and now i am trying to install koffice-1.2, but during the ./configure i am getting this error.
    'checking for libz... configure: error: not found'

I had a look, and i have libz.so.1 installed in /usr/lib/libz.so.1
    How do i point the configure to look for libz in /usr/lib/,

i checked in the config.h.in file but there is nothing ablout libz.
    Cheers
    LiNuts

Aaron_Adams

Re:koffice compile error

The problem is probably that you don't have /usr/lib in your /etc/ld.so.conf file. All you should have to do is append /usr/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and then as root run ldconfig.

JimH

Are you sure it doesn't need a different version of libz then what you have installed?

Looking in config.log will provide you with more details on what it is looking for.
    Look at the README's in the source code there might be one that tells you what is required to compile koffice.

Jim H

LiNuts

I installed libz1g-dev and rean the config, then it couldn.t find qt3, so i installed libqt3-dev, and now its asking if i compiled qt3 with threads (??). as i dont know what this means, am i missing installing a dev package that will cover everything, or will i have to keep installing different dev packages until i get it configured.
    Cheers
    LiNuts
    BTW: do i need koffice-1.2 or will the older version work with kde3

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuts
    now its asking if i compiled qt3 with threads (??). as i dont know what this means

More then likely QT3 is compiled with threads. I would really be surprised if it wasn't.

From the Linux threads FAQ

A.2: What are threads?
    A thread is a sequential flow of control through a program. Multi-threaded programming is, thus, a form of parallel programming where several threads of control are executing concurrently in the program. All threads execute in the same memory space, and can therefore work concurrently on shared data.

Multi-threaded programming differs from using multiple Unix processes in that all threads share the same memory space (and a few other system resources, such as file descriptors), instead of running in their own memory space as is the case with Unix processes.

Threads are useful for several reasons. First, they allow a program to exploit multi-processor machines: the threads can run in parallel on several processors, allowing a single program to divide its work between several processors, thus running faster than a single-threaded program, which runs on only one processor at a time. Second, even on uniprocessor machines, threads allow overlapping I/O and computations in a simple way. Last, some programs are best expressed as several threads of control that communicate together, rather than as one big monolithic sequential program. Examples include server programs, overlapping asynchronous I/O, and graphical user interfaces.

will i have to keep installing different dev packages until i get it configured.
    Yes. :'(

BTW: do i need koffice-1.2 or will the older version work with kde3
    koffice 1.2 is still beta. Look on ftp.kde.org. You will see a koffice-1.1.1-kde3 directory if you want to try it instead.

Jim H