Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Hangs

Bogler

System Hangs

I am experiencing some systems hangs. This is happening with RH73, 2.4.18-3 and -4 kernels.
    I use a nvidia Geforve MX PCI 32MB. I have followed a standard upgrade with the RedHat iso images.
    It seems to be when i start a browser, the system may hang. I can't use Alt F1, the only thing alive is the cursor (mouse).

I am beginning to get a bit worried...

Where do i start to look for the cause, i have tried /ver/log/messages and /var/log/XFreelog.0 but can't find anything.

I have recently installed Fluxbox and it just crashed again.. so it looks like it's something deeper down than just the XWindow. I previously was crashing with kde3

Thanks

Bogler ;D

Spot

Re:System Hangs

You *do* have drivers loaded that you got from nvidea, right?

Bogler

Hi Spot

Yeah I have just installed the latest tars from nvidea

It just doesn't seem to record the crash anywhere.. it would be god if there was a system dunmp or something to look at.

Regards

Bogler

are you using mozilla 1.0 RC 2???
    i have had that problem as well, tho not very often, only when i had alot of tabs open.
    ive down graded to 0.9.9 untill i have time to get RC3 and it seems to be fine

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Bogler

HI alastair

I was using Konqueror, the version that comes with RH7.3.
    I have also tried Mozilla and Netscape, the most stable browser seems to be Galeon...so far.

This wasn't happening with RH72 and seems to be a consequence of the upgrade to RH73.

Where is the most likely place for log of the crash to be kept?

On the whole my machine is ok but when you know that a hang could be looming it makes things a tad uncomfortable..

Bogler

Bogler

I have just noticed that there are uptodate drivers on the nvidia site. I will untar and install these and give it a whirl.

I'll also set a verbose level of 5 too track down the problem.

Thanks for bearing with me...

Bogler

;D ;D ;D

JimH

Bogler,

This has to be something related to your specific hardware. RH 7.3 has been rock solid for me. I tried KDE for most of the day yesterday and no problems at all, except for konqueror double posting on the board. :P

Jim H

_BAD_ konq..... ;D ;D
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    _BAD_ konq..... ;D ;D
    LOL. Yeah, I will have to switch to KDE again and try and track down the problem. Spot thinks it is probably going to be a browser cache issue.

Konqueror is growing up and turning into a pretty nice browser. I think I will stick with Mozilla though as my main web browser. ;D

Jim H

Bogler

Hi

I installed the latest tar files from nvidia last night (the 2960) series.

I started x with the -verbose 5 -logverbose 5 option and started plying/surfing etc.

After about 3 hrs it crashed again, i couldn't use ctrl-altbackspace to kill X and nothing else responded. I had to poweroff again.

I then looked through both /var/log/messages and Xfree.0.log to look for any EE lines etc (i had a good idea of when my system crashed). Couldn't find anything.

I did notice a few modprobe lines trying to load ppp0 and ppp1, i see these interfaces being brough up when the system boots (is this something to be worried about?)

Anyway (pulling my hair out at this stage) i decided to install the rpms. This is how the system was left. I have been using Konq all the time but have now decided to run Mozilla as default and check out it's behaviour.

I agree with Spot because it always happens when i open a browser and everything else seems fine, even when it crashes xmms keeps playing, even though i can't turn it off ???

Anyway, i am thinking about downgrading to RH72 as it was stable on this platform, i may start using Netscape again as this was the browser is used before.

I can do without this happening to my beloved Linux box

I mean, theres's not that much stuff on my box, it runs samba, nfs, ipchains etc all fairly common stuff.

I wish i could capture something useful when it crashes....

Regards

Bogler