Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joystick

mugs

Joystick

I have a MS SideWinder Precision Pro 2 joystick and a brand new installation of
    SUSE 8.0. How can I get it to work? Thanks.

JimH

Re:Joystick

A Google search came up with this link.

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~vojtech/joystick/

Jim H

mugs

Thanks for the link, I downloaded the driver, but really dont know what to do next, would you mind telling me what is next? I am so entrenched in Windows....thanks!

JimH

According to the docs on the website these drivers have already been included in the 2.4 kernel. ;D

There appears to be a little documentation in the Documentation/input/joystick.txt file of the kernel source.

There doesn't seem to be a all-in-one Linux Howto on joysticks. :'( I never noticed that before.

Jim H

mugs

thanks for the info. Yeah, I thought I saw that the joystick should be supported, but it is not listed or detected. My game pad is also not detected, so I thought there is something else I needed to do. I only started using Linux this weekend, so forgive my ignorance and explore it.

JimH

None of these usb device ID's you posted are your joystick or gamepad.

usb.c USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x50d/0xf51)
    050d Belkin Components

I can't find the product ID. Is this a Belkin usb hub? Are your joystick and gamepad connected to it? If they are try connecting your joystick/gamepad to the usb port on your computer. Maybe the hub isn't being correctly identified and this is causing your joystick/gamepad to not be seen at all.

usb.c USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc504)
    046d Logitech Inc.
    c504 Cordless Mouse+Keyboard Receiver

usb.c USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x781/0x2)
    0781 SanDisk Corp.
    0002 SDDR-31 ImageMate II CompactFlash Reader

Jim H

mugs

Well, could be, I have my joystick attached to the Belkin USB hub, but the game pad is a serial connection. I also have the Scanner and the San Disk card reader attached to the hub. The scanner of course doesnt work, but the San
    Disk does.

If those items are being recognized correctly, what can I do to fix it. I mean, the keyboard and mouse work also, even though I do see messages about them. Also, I still cant figur e out how to install those drivers for the joystick, although it sounds like I shouldnt need to...thanks for your help.

mugs

Ok, plugged joystick into the computer itself, without hub and still no luck...

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    Well, could be, I have my joystick attached to the Belkin USB hub, but the game pad is a serial connection.
    I thought the Belkin might be a usb hub. You didn't say the gamepad was serial.
    :P

Look in /var/log/messages again and see if there is another device id you missed before for your joystick.

Jim H

mugs

Sorry about not mentioning the game pad was serial :-[

Here is what I have this time:

0x50d/0xf51
    0x4a9/0x220c
    0x3f0/0x3302
    0x781/0x2

When I tried to open the messages file, it said I didnt have the right to, so I had to log out and log back in as root. Is that the correct procedure? Thanks for your help!