Thread: RH 7.3. Flickering display

RH 7.3. Flickering display

I've just installed RH 7.3-- upgraded from 7.1. It was a nightmare- i had to install it as new, losing a lot of stuff. Anyway it goes now and i like it but I have an annoying flicker in the display. I have a Virge DX video cartd and I'm set for 16 bit colour and 1028 x 740 (I think). The settings are the same as when I was runing 7.1, and the flicker didn't used to be there. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Keith

JimH

Re:RH 7.3. Flickering display

Know issue. Apparently the Virge DX/GX driver defaults to using fifo_aggressive. This is causing problems with some hardware.

Add "fifo_moderate" to the device section in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "devname"
    Driver "s3virge"
    ...other options
    Option "fifo_moderate"
    EndSection

Jim H

i hear you on that installation problem, i had to do the same thing. the only difference was that i was going from 7.2-7.3. such a bummer. when you installed 7.1, did you set aside a partition or two for /home and such?

Thanks Jim!

I edited the config file and it works perfectly... they made it easy becasue the line was already there and commented out!

I'm blown away by the fast responses on this list. The right answer just one hour after posting the query... is that impressive or what!

I can't remember how the partitions were set up under 7.1.- my son is the techy around here. When we tried to upgrade to 7.3 the installer just hung part way through the process. Then we tried just installing the basic components on our existing partitions and it thought it was full, so in the end we got rid of the old partitions, and started from scratch. Basically now I have one partition for windoze (I'd like to get rid of it, but the Australian Tax Office can't produce its Java software in anything but Windows- work that out!), one for linux plus a swap file.

The process wasn't a huge drama... but it was frustrating. It's a bit like changing a tyre and then finding you need to rebuild the engine! And I DID have all my important data saved (I learned to backup before you change operating systems many moons ago). But I do have to reconstruct email address books and bookmarks etc.

I think that RH 7.3 has got some nice features over 7.1, and all the extras are more up to date. I bought a CD of OpenOffice.org 1.0 at the same time and it's quite impressive at first bite. I always had printer problems with SO 5.2- it wouldn't print in colour for some reason but OOo seems fine.

That's along way off the track. Thanks again for the speedy reply,

Keith

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    I'm blown away by the fast responses on this list. The right answer just one hour after posting the query... is that impressive or what!
    We get lucky once in a while. :P

And I DID have all my important data saved (I learned to backup before you change operating systems many moons ago). But I do have to reconstruct email address books and bookmarks etc.
    You need to setup a separate /home partition that way if you need to do a clean install you just don't format /home and you keep all your personal files and preference setting that way. ;D

I think that RH 7.3 has got some nice features over 7.1, and all the extras are more up to date. I bought a CD of OpenOffice.org 1.0 at the same time and it's quite impressive at first bite.
    RH 7.3 looks to be a release on par with RH 6.2. ;D I have OpenOffice 1.0 installed. I haven't played with it much yet, but I have been very impressed with it so far. It looks to be a great upgrade to SO 5.2. And just think this is the first release, it will get even better. ;D

Jim H