Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slackware to drop GNOME ?

Slackware to drop GNOME ?

http://www.dropline.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3430

I just noticed the thread while browsing the forums... seems to be really true..

Re:Slackware to drop GNOME ?

Well, my first reaction is that Pat is right about letting dropline take care of all the Gnome stuff. The only thing is that many people on this site have complained that dropline is a bit slower than slackware's version.

Good Guru

[quote author=Dswissmiss link=board=6;threadid=9860;start=0#msg89425 date=1097354444]
    Well, my first reaction is that Pat is right about letting dropline take care of all the Gnome stuff. The only thing is that many people on this site have complained that dropline is a bit slower than slackware's version.
    [/quote]

Not really. Perhaps it isnt optimized for all cpus, but there is the source for that -- just rebuild.

Great.. Slackware adding another nail in it's coffin - I forsee that Dropline will gain more and more users for their slackware based distro due to this - people expect a proper DE out of the box.

Good Guru

Well KDE is there, and does work well. But I do agree that this is not generally a great sign for the distro.

dunno what to make of the situation yet. gotta see how it plays out, stay a slacker. im thinking bout fedora core 3 or arch linux just to see how they are.

I wouldn't care if Slackware (Patrick) dropped GNOME because there is always Dropline GNOME and also garnome. If you have the resources to use GNOME, then you can easily compile it. I think that the distribution's prestige will take a beating due to this fact but in the letter, all he says is that "he might ... " not he will. So we'll wait till next slackware release.

[quote author=Shebang link=board=7;threadid=9860;start=0#msg89474 date=1097457040]
    I wouldn't care if Slackware (Patrick) dropped GNOME because there is always Dropline GNOME and also garnome. If you have the resources to use GNOME, then you can easily compile it. I think that the distribution's prestige will take a beating due to this fact but in the letter, all he says is that "he might ... " not he will. So we'll wait till next slackware release.
    [/quote]

The problem is that it takes too long to compile in either case, and with GARNOME, there are too many dependencies to resolve manually. Should Slackware drop GNOME (which I hope they do not), then someone has to provide the binaries that will run at the speed slack-gnome does, because Dropline GNOME binaries, from my prior experience are somewhat slower on not-so-new machines.

[quote author=chessforce link=board=7;threadid=9860;start=0#msg89491 date=1097514450]
    [quote author=Shebang link=board=7;threadid=9860;start=0#msg89474 date=1097457040]
    [/quote]

The problem is that it takes too long to compile in either case, and with GARNOME, there are too many dependencies to resolve manually. Should Slackware drop GNOME (which I hope they do not), then someone has to provide the binaries that will run at the speed slack-gnome does, because Dropline GNOME binaries, from my prior experience are somewhat slower on not-so-new machines.
    [/quote]

Agreed. But as the email says, it takes him 1/3 of his Slack time to manage GNOME (alone). I believe Slackware GNOME binaries i686 optimized and someone would provide those slackware binaries or maybe the Dropline GNOME people will themselves produce regular and DP GNOME ? I don't know why KDE will take him less time but I can understand that GNOME takes waay too long.

But as I said in my previous post, the Slackware distribution's prestige will definitely take a beating (which I hope doesn't affect the users too much).

This could be blessing disguise, it would allow the developer time to focus on other aspects of the OS.