Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can a winmodem work under RedHat.

shahan01

How can a winmodem work under RedHat.

Hi all! actually i am new to Linux and just trying to shift from Windows to Linux. Everything works fine under Linux except my modem :-[ V.90 Motorolla(internal).Can anyone suggest me how can i get it working ???.Plz keep in mind that i am new to Linux so try to be as breifing as you can.
    Looking forward to all the 'Linux Thinktanks'

johnqpublic

Re:How can a winmodem work under RedHat.

Hi,and welcome to GLO!
    There are drivers for some Motorola modems (is yours PCI?).If you know the chipset/model No.of your modem you might try www.linmodems.org to see if there is a driver available for your specific model.JimH is perty sharp with Redhat and when he is back on he will give you some good details on getting them installed.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by johnqpublic
    JimH is perty sharp with Redhat and when he is back on he will give you some good details on getting them installed.
    My usual advice is to buy a "real" modem. :P

You need to find out the exact make/model/chipset of your modem. Then like johnq mentioned check http://www.linmodems.org to see if it is supported at all before you pull your hair out trying to get it to work.

Jim H

shahan01

Thank you guys for replying! Unfortunately i have already visited the site you mentioned but without luck! :-[ Plz give some other suggestions or names of other websites where i can find the driver of my modem. And yes my modem is PCI. its SM56 Motorolla V.90(internal).

shahan01

Hey guys tell u what ...i fianally found a driver for my modem ;D at"http://ewww.motorola.com/products/softmodem/support/" and download the driver rpm. I have not tried it yet but i hope it works :-*

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by shahan
    I have not tried it yet but i hope it works :-*
    Don't bet on it working. That is a binary only driver that will not work with kernels above 2.4.5 from what I found. :'(

Motorola has ceased all support for their winmodems and exited the business. They are no longer making drivers for their products including windows drivers. There are not even WInXP drivers for those things.

Motorola also apparently has no intention of helping the open source community as this e-mail message some one sent to them shows. >

MA07 Support-LGEN037 <LGEN037@motorola.com> wrote:
    Hello Jeff,

At this time, Motorola has decided to exit the software modem business.
    Motorola also regards its intellectual property as an asset, albeit an
    inactive one at this time and thus has no plans to release the source code for
    any aspect of the SM56 modem, including the Linux version.

Thank you for contacting SM56 support.

Idiots. Support a company that is willing to support open source and buy yourself another modem when you can afford it from a company that does. Preferably a hardware based modem.

This is the problem with companies that don't support open source. You buy a product, they stop supporting it and you are screwed. If these companies would support open source and release the information necessary to write a driver for their products then this would not happen. You would not be stuck with hardware you can't use just because you cannot find a driver for it. >

Those of you using Nvidia's binary drivers should think about this issue and what would happen if they decide to no longer release drivers for older hardware. Think about it "forced" upgrades to make you buy new hardware. :P

Jim H

I think I should have put this in Rants & Flames. :P

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Those of you using Nvidia's binary drivers should think about this issue and what would happen if they decide to no longer release drivers for older hardware. Think about it "forced" upgrades to make you buy new hardware. :P
    And that's not to mention what NVidiots did to my beautiful Voodoo5

shahan01

as suspected it didnt work. Guess i'll have to download it again. at installation time it says "0 sources found and 1 file found" ??? i wonder it means.
    : I guess i'll have to stick on to windoze untill i buy a new modem............
    Thank you guys for your concern!

alloy

Hi everyone ,
    I have a Internal Modem [ winmodem ] with the chipset MD5628D . I downloaded the drivers from the Intel site . I installed . I see it in the /proc/pci file . But when I did a wvdialconf ham56conf it didn't detect it .
    So I found a this site [ http://www.btinternet.com/~bob.minor...al-config.html ] . He had success using the modem . I made the wvdialconf file from that site . Then I tried wvdial , it did started to dial but said NO DIAL TONE .
    I tried looking for setting up modems and PPP under linuxconf but I really don't see it like from what I see from screenshots .

My information
    ------ --------
    Redhat 7.2
    2.4.7-10 kernel
    No X-windows

Thank you fellas in advance .

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    And that's not to mention what NVidiots did to my beautiful Voodoo5
    Beautiful??
    that beast needed an external 12v power suply.....

whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??