Thread: USB NIC hell

Spot

USB NIC hell

I'm having some trouble compiling a USB module for a USB NIC. Unfortunately, the machine only has USB and one serial port (Intel 810 chipset/Celeron 333) so that's the direction I have to go. I have the driver floppy that came with the NIC with linux drivers included, and instructions, but I'm getting errors and I'm not sure where to go.

This is a fresh Install of RH 7.3, with the stock (2.4.18-3) kernel and kernel source.

I found some more recent instructions on the realtek site, but I'm still getting errors. it was mentioned that I should define the path to the include directory (which I did) and then the output metioned that malloc.h was outdated and I should use slab.h instead. I changed that
    line in the rtl8150.c file and ran again:
    gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -c rtl8150.c -I/usr/src/linux-2.4/include

The output:
    <command line>: macro names must be identifiers
    <command line>: warning: extra tokens at end of #define directives

I'm pretty new to compiling 3rd party modules, and I don't know what these errors mean. All I've found on searches is very very vague stuff, and nothing directly related to this module.

Aaron_Adams

Re:USB NIC hell

Do you know what file is giving those errors? From the looks of it, it's just a syntax error in one of the #define's. A macro is just a "#define" function.

For instance:
    Code:
    #define max(x,y)(x>y?x:y)
    I'm guessing if you were to go through the defines on the file, you may be able to find the error. Could be wrong...

Is there anywhere online to get the file? I could try compiling it on my system and see what comes up.

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Adams
    Do you know what file is giving those errors? From the looks of it, it's just a syntax error in one of the #define's. A macro is just a "#define" function.
    Welp, it turns out that it's a Redhat thing, since /usr/src/linux/include no longer exists in 7.x. JimH and I spent half the night last night on irc compiling and recompiling modules trying to get this puppy up and running. Apparently the pegasus module supports the chipset, but we haven't been able to get it working yet. After 15 hours or so, I'd had enough for one day and had to crash.
    Since it's kinda pointless to have a linux machine with no network access...back to the hunt today!

JimH

Actually rtl8150 support seems to have been moved out of the pegasus module. Spot just hasn't got around to trying the new module I sent him yet.

Jim H

Spot

It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!!

btw...ever hear of the Barbie PC(TM)? That's what this is...snagged it off my sister when it crapped out(like they all did) and wanted to enjoy the novelty of trying to run linux on this thing.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cool
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!! It's working!!

btw...ever hear of the Barbie PC(TM)? That's what this is...snagged it off my sister when it crapped out(like they all did) and wanted to enjoy the novelty of trying to run linux on this thing.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Hmmm, that must mean the last rtl8150 module I sent him worked. ;D

Jim H