Thread: Powering Down Linux

VampyreUK

Powering Down Linux

Hi,

I'm using SuSE Linux 8.0 and I can't get it to power down on my machine ... does anyone know where one would go (which configuration tool) to configure the machine to power off when I shutdown?

The odd thing is that I have also installed SuSE 8.0 on a system at work and that system DOES power down fine. The difference appears to be that on my one at home, it says something about "skipping run level 0" (can't confirm that until I get home) a message that doesn't appear on the one at work.

Thanks

VampyreUK

johnqpublic

Re:Powering Down Linux

Welcome to GLO!
    This may or may not help but have you went to the "Control Panel">"System">"Login Manager">"Sessions Tab" and looked at"Allow Shutdown"? You will have a choice of Everybody,Only Root or Nobody as shutdown options.Choose the option you want and just maybe this will correct your prob.Make sure you are Logged in as "Root" to make any changes to the system.Hope this will help.

VampyreUK

Hi,

Turns out the problem is much simpler than APM issues ... the machine powrs down under other OS's so it stands to reason the APM was fine.

Apparently the problem is that P4 archtecture is similar to a multi-processor architecture & YaST2 detects such machines as having two processors and installs the SMP (symetric mulriprocessing) kernel which doesn't power down too well under Linux ... the solution is to use YaST to uninstall the SMP version and replace it with a single processor kernel.

Anyway ... it's all documented on the SuSE Support Database.

VampyreUK

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by VampyreUK
    Apparently the problem is that P4 archtecture is similar to a multi-processor architecture & YaST2 detects such machines as having two processors
    Interesting, Yast2 is interpreting the Hyper-threading technology in the P4's incorrectly and thinking you have a smp system. I imagine they will probably find a way to fix their processor detection scheme in Yast2.

Jim H

HuFlungDung

I'm an extreme Linux newbie, but even a PIII seems to be detrected as 2 cpus. This is when I check the control panel/hardware, I see two instances of cpu in there, identical in every respect, and my comp hangs when I go to shut down, too.

I'll have to check out that kernel thing you were talking about.