Thread: Got Gentoo installed, works great! KDE 3.0 rules!

beatlejuice321

Got Gentoo installed, works great! KDE 3.0 rules!

Well, just thought I would say I finally got "Gentoo" installed. It took me awhile to get everything configured correctly.

The Portage system is pretty cool, it does take awhile to install packages though. But I guess thats the price you pay to be able to contantly have the latest programs and packages on your system.

This is the first time I have used KDE 3.0, and man is it nice. The new file-management system is great, allowing you to preview all you txt files etc...

I have also used the Portage system to install the latest NVIDIA drivers, without a hitch. I have yet to test them though.

I do have one question, according to the "Desktop" setup screen on Gentoo's website. You have to use the "kdm" command to start KDE thourh the desktop manager program. How do I bypass this? I just want to start KDE from the command line from whichever log in I am currently using. Could anyone tell me?

Note: also when I use the KDM command to start KDE, I cannot exit from the login screen back to the command prompt. I have to actually use the "Restart Computer" command. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, only restarts the KDM manager again.

Thanks,

Beatlejuice

Re:Got Gentoo installed, works great! KDE 3.0 rules!

hey, thats great to hear, i was thinking of fidling with gentoo but can't really be bothered.
    about the autostart, take a look at http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=937 and see if you can understand the "user experience" section

I found a post on the gentoo forums that might have helped, but it was by you.... :P :P :P :P

between code listing 11 and 12 on the desktop page:
    All that's left is to make sure that X comes up when Gentoo boots. Edit /etc/rc.conf so that DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm".
    and make sure you follow listing 14: # rc-update add xdm default

hope that works

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by beatlejuice321
    Well, just thought I would say I finally got "Gentoo" installed. It took me awhile to get everything configured correctly.
    Coooooool! 8)

I do have one question, according to the "Desktop" setup screen on Gentoo's website. You have to use the "kdm" command to start KDE thourh the desktop manager program. How do I bypass this? I just want to start KDE from the command line from whichever log in I am currently using. Could anyone tell me?
    Hmmm, I haven't had time to play with my Gentoo install for awhile. :'( I will check and see how you switch runlevels in Gentoo. I now they are doing something different when it comes to setting the runlevel.

Jim H

JimH

OK to boot in console mode instead of X you have to remove the xdm entry from /etc/runlevels/default

rc-update del xdm default

Jim H

beatlejuice321

Thanks for your guy's info! I finally got my problem fixed, and everything seems to be working fine now. Sorry it took so long to get back, I have been busy.

Appreciate it!

Beatlejuice

good as
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Panserbjorne

Daniel Robbins, founder of Gentoo originally came Stampede Linux! ;D

At the gentoo site there are a ton of really good articles on how to do special things in Linux.

Just a note.

i just got Gentoo going as well as KDE and it rawks. everything went well, except for an error in the manual which cause me to not make the modules. but that was fixed and there were no other snags. on the downside, it took 13 hrs to compile X and KDE.

-Babbing