Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Questions... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions...

JimH

Re:Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by iansl
    I don't know what you're talking about.
    In Linux Mandrake 5.3, there is a FIPS DOS partitioner. Does it work, or is it phony software?
    FIPS is still around, but there are newer tools that do the same thing now.

Jim H

aggreed
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by JimH

FIPS is still around, but there are newer tools that do the same thing now.

Jim H
    The thing I dislike about FIPS is that it's destructive partitioning. That's why a lot of people, myself included, prefer something along the lines of Partition Magic. You can manipulate, resize, and reformat (*some* fs types) without destroying the data that resides on them.

um.... what was it that FIPS stood for??
    according to some long lost documentation that i had somewhere, its the "First Interactive non destructive Partitioning System....
    or something similar, and according to the website, its been goingfor 5 years without any problems
    I have a copy of PM that came with my mobo, but whenever i want to use it i have to boot into doze and install it to create the rescue disks, i just found, much to my delight that when i (re)partitioned my /home hard drive with linux fdisk, the data stayed there!
    now thats not something you see every day.....

JimH

Hmmm, I don't remember FIPS doing non-destructive partitioning. :P

Never tried this yet. Another one of those things I keep saying I am going to look at. :P
    http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

Jim H

iansl

So, is there a good partitioner in the DrakeX setup?

Also, do you have to change your BIOS for LM to recognize PNP hardware?

One more thing: What USB stuff can you use with LM?

iansl

By the way...what's the newest version of KDE, gnome, and all o' that stuff (wondering about cheapbytes)

iansl

Is lnx4win a good emulator?

Also, can you run full-screen programs (preferably games) on linux?

lnx4win isn't an emulator, its a version of linux that runs in a windows partition, it isn't very fast and doesn't show the true power of linux
    DrakX is only to set up the X desktop, to partition, use harddrake and select the harddrives to load the partition program
    Mandrake has full usb support, but there may not be any drivers for the item that you want to use, search google for "linux <item>"

Newest version of kde is 3 - http://www.kde.org
    gnome is at 1.4 (i think) - http://gnome.org

games:
    loki software ported alot of good games to linux, tribes2, kohan, soldier of fortune, UT, sim city 3000 etc bout they went out of business, their games are still for sale tho, take a look at their site (http://lokigames.com) for a list of retailers

Alastair

iansl

So you can or you can't partition with DrakX? Also, can you, with restarting, switch between Linux and Win without killing any of your components? Also, WHAT IS A GOOD EMULATOR? I wanna know if wine or some other em can be downloaded or bought cheap.