Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse issues

Mouse issues

why is it that everytime i try to use my logitec wheelmouse, (ps/2) linux wants to make it a USB? it brings me to kudzu and then tries to configure it, then the mouse doesn't work. wtf. what is up with this?

JimH

Re:Mouse issues

Hmmm thats strange. Is the mouse a USB mouse and you are using a USB to PS/2 adapter to connect it to a PS/2 port?

I have a PS/2 Logitech Firstmouse+. I am not seeing this problem.

Jim H

it is a three button logitec mouse with a PS/2 interface to the computer. sometimes when i reboot, kudzu comes up and wants it to be a USB mouse. i tell it no, and choose PS/2, but after that it won't work again

JimH

Thats a really unusual bug if thats what it is. I have not seen any reports from others about a similar problem.

Post the Mouse section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. It will look similar to this.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

As a temporary work around we could disable kudzu if it comes to that.

Jim H

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    EndSection

i wish i could remember the exact circumstance when it happens. the one thing i do know is that it is frequent

it happened again, it appears to be some sort of a random boot thing. it has really turned into luck of the draw.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by babbing
    it happened again, it appears to be some sort of a random boot thing. it has really turned into luck of the draw.
    That is really strange. Never seen that before. You can always disable kudzu for now. It won't effect anything kudzu is just for detection of new hardware. You can re-enable it if you need it.

As root user

chkconfig --level 345 kudzu off

Jim H

err, i have replied to this thread at least 6 times already, but it doesn't go through. through trial and error, i figured out the if i tell it to do nothing to the configuration that it has, then it doesn't mess with the mouse. the tricky thing was that it is calling it a usb mouse, which it totally isn't. who knows :

JimH

It is strange because kudzu detects it as one type of mouse one time and another type of mouse another time. Almost like the mouse is identifying itself wrong.

kudzu stores the information on the system hardware it detects in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf. When it boots it compares what it detects on boot to what is in the file to see if anything has changed.

Jim H

this weirdest thing is that it is calling it a USB mouse. it is most certaintly not. and for some reason, that works. i have no idea...