Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Complete newbies use Linux easily - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Complete newbies use Linux easily

Re:Complete newbies use Linux easily

running win 2k/xp?
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

farfrompuken

Yup, got XP. Think I need to cough up for partitionmagic, or the equivalent.
    Is there an easy to use freeware partition tool, or do I have to shell out the 50 for PartitionMagic? Seems silly to pay that much for a tool that I would rarely use.

Was under the (false) impression that the software provided with Red Hat 9.0 would suffice.
    At least I roughly know where I'm headed now......

go to download.com My personal favorite is Bootit NG, but there are a few others.

shahan01

a much easier way would to install windows version first like XP or 2000. then through disk manager utility in both of these two OS, you can partition ur HD, and then install Linux..... let one of ur HD partition be free space or in other words 'unformatted' , then just slip in the linux CD and let it do the trick !

You can also use linux to partition your HDD. If you're doing a clean install of both OS's then you could boot-up with the Linux CD, and use fdisk or cfdisk to create, and format your partitions, then install Win32 first, followed by Linux afterward. Windows hates to be 2nd in anything.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

skynet: its just that the win drive is ntfs5, and only mandrake can resize that, and im not sure if i'd trust it
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

farfrompuken

Shahan;

Showing my ability/knowledge here.....

Disk Manager. XP. Where/how?

thanks

Why not just alot a certain amount of space to windows when you install it and move on from there?

yeah, i find everything is more "stable" if you do it from scratch, partition magic you may only use once or twice, but its a lifesaver when its there when you need it. i also suggest using the boot into linux cfdsik format install windows install linux way.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

Syn

I've always used the MDK install cd to partition. When I did My original table, clean disk, started with XP, told its partition thing to separate off just enough that it needed for the OS [3.5~4GB] and did the remaining partitioning when I installled MDK, formatted the FAT's in XP.
    About MDK and NTFS resizing. The read support is very nice, although I haven't seen the resizing available yet, at least in anything more than alpha stages. However, I haven't had a problem resizing a FAT partition via MDK.
    I've seen mumblings about ext partitions being able to be read in winblows... anyone know about that? [Not like it does Me alot of good, but nice to know nonetheless]