Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Complete newbies use Linux easily - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Complete newbies use Linux easily

farfrompuken

Re:Complete newbies use Linux easily

'Linux doesn't need people like you'

What kind of answer was that? Do I have to lose any sense of humour and become a self-absorbed arrogant @rsehole to use linux. Or is that just you?
    Thinks that's just you, mate.

Does anyone else out there have something of value to say. I'm not aware that Linux is a personality sensing piece of software. I'm seriously keen to know whether Linux is a genuine alternative to OSX, or windows, and how does it perform. I am willing to learn.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by farfrompuken
    Thinks that's just you, mate.
    skynet is a damn good linux user. i think what got him was the bluntness that you seemed to use. he gave you another option, thats all.
    we all try to be uber friendly here....

Does anyone else out there have something of value to say.
    I have something ove value to say, so does skynet, Aragorn, babbing, johnq, jimH, the list goes on. as i said, we al try to be as freindly as possible when giving help.
    I'm not aware that Linux is a personality sensing piece of software.
    Im not sure what you are trying to say here, but i can say that we are all *very* personal about our linux boxes, mainly because we put a lot of hard work into them to make them run just perfect. oh, btw, linux is an OS

I'm seriously keen to know whether Linux is a genuine alternative to OSX, or windows, and how does it perform. I am willing to learn.
    hmm, personally, if i was getting a new iBook (ie, i had enough $$....) i would keep osX, mainly because its so Sexy *droooool* but an older box runing system 8/9 would be quite cool with yellowdog or... i think mdk has a ppc port.
    That said, linux *is* a 'genuine alternative to OSX, or windows'.
    It just depends on your mindset and what you want to use it for.

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

farfrompuken

alistair, Thanks.

Not got the Mac yet. Looking to install linux on a PC based laptop, or get an iBook instead.
    SuSE looked to be very newbie-friendly, but RedHat and Yellow Dog have their own take too.

It's quite confusing where to start. Is it a case of different companies supplying different 'looks', or is there more to it.

Apologies if I was to obnoxious earlier. Alcohol was involved... :P

As I said earlier, I'm so green, I'm not even a newbie....

i suppose that some companies do supply different looks, but the big picture is that that supplied look is far from permanent. You can change that to whatever suits your needs, and you can even go as far as making your own 'look' if you please. One thing you will be interested to know about is that KDE supplies you with an Apple OS theme, so maybe that would feel comfortable for you.

farfrompuken

Just ordered Red Hat 9.2 personal. Won't got it 4 a week, till I return fom the Middle East to Home (UK). How, once I've adjusted myself to the new OS, do I rid myself of the disease that is windows??

Thanks,

farfrom. ;D

farfrompuken

Yup, how do I get rid of MS????

format c:
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

farfrompuken

Format C:. Once I've done that, will Red Hat install itself from the CD ROM?

Next question: If I wanted to run a dual-boot system, if I ever had any problems with Red Hat, could I delete the partitions?

And could I initially run a twin OS setup, and once used to Linux, then get rid of windows?

Sorry for the basic nature of these questions.

Format C:. Once I've done that, will Red Hat install itself from the CD ROM?
    If your BIOS supports booting from CD-ROM yes.

Next question: If I wanted to run a dual-boot system, if I ever had any problems with Red Hat, could I delete the partitions?
    Yes.

And could I initially run a twin OS setup, and once used to Linux, then get rid of windows?
    Yes.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

farfrompuken

Got Red Hat 9.0 personal, but the supplied partitioning software won't partition my hard drive.

Looking to run a dual-boot system.

Help!!