Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

file permissions reset to 755

Thread: file permissions reset to 755

Hybrid View

gomez alert

file permissions reset to 755

I have been running Mandrake 8.1 and recently installed 8.2 on
    the root partition, taking the opportunity to change to ext3 on this partition
    only. The home partition was left untouched. Now, no matter how
    often I do a chmod, after a reboot the file permissions on /home always
    reset to 755 - not what you would want at all. It goes without saying
    that I am doing all this as root. Any ideas?

JimH

Re:file permissions reset to 755

Do you mean each users /home directory?

755 is normal for the /home partition itself. Mandrake 8.1 use more restrictive permissions? 750 maybe?

I will ask Spot what Drake 8.1 used. He is a Drake person.

Jim H

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Do you mean each users /home directory?

755 is normal for the /home partition itself. Mandrake 8.1 use more restrictive permissions? 750 maybe?
    No, it's something really bizarre, as I've had the same problem with my laptop when it was running drake 8.2. I could enter other users' home directories, read and execute. If I'd changed ownership and perms on that users home as root, it switched back.
    Never could find anything out about it.

I will ask Spot what Drake 8.1 used. He is a Drake person.
    Not any more :P

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    No, it's something really bizarre, as I've had the same problem with my laptop when it was running drake 8.2. I could enter other users' home directories, read and execute. If I'd changed ownership and perms on that users home as root, it switched back.
    Never could find anything out about it.
    WHOA! The users home directories are mounted with 777 permissions? That's a nasty bug. Is Mandrake aware of this? There should have been an instant fix available for that problem from Mandrake.

Jim H

gomez alert

Thanks folks - glad it's not me doing something silly anyway. This sounds
    like quite a serious problem with Mandrake 8.2. I must admit I've used it since
    6.1 without problems until now.

JimH

I think I would be getting in touch with Mandrake and find out if they are aware of the problem. If you find out anything about the bug is post it. ;D

Jim H

ill have a look at the perms of my drake box when i get home

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    I think I would be getting in touch with Mandrake and find out if they are aware of the problem. If you find out anything about the bug is post it. ;D

Jim H
    I can't say it's a mandrake thing, but this was the first time I'd added another user other than myself under drake. I'd also played around a bit with the groups when attempting to install KDE3 on it - which is where I think the problem may have occurred. I can't say for sure, but I've never seen anything like it before.