Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Suse 8.0 Install

Thread: Suse 8.0 Install

mugs

Suse 8.0 Install

;D I am getting ready to install Suse 8.0. I have Windows XP formatted with NTFS, so I purchased a separate hard drive. I know that all I have to do is install Suse on my new drive. My QUESTION is where does the boot manager, LILO get installed...to my Suse Hard Drive or to my XP drive? So, how exactly do I set it up so that I will receive the choice of which OS and drive to boot to. Thanks!

krome

Re:Suse 8.0 Install

it should automatically recognize the XP drive and create the entry in LILO but youll have to have your new drive as the first hard drive to boot to in the bios for you to have the option to choose what OS to load.

(it will create LILO on the new drive)

krome

by the way did you purchase your distro? if so did you recevie any stickers or a pin with your purchase? just want to know cause i think i got jipped for mine >

mugs

thanks so much for the reply. I am brand new to Linux, but I am fed up with Windows. Some more questions...do i have to format and partition my new drive first, or can I do that during the install?

So, I just have to install and set that drive first...sounds pretty easy.

Yes, I purchased it Suse 8.0 Pro from Amazon for $64.99.
    No, I didnt get any pins or stickers, I read somewhere that they stopped doing that.

krome

no you dont have to format that will take place during the install but what i would recommend is that if you want to access your XP drive that you reinstall that with FAT that way you will be able to access it within SuSE
    (thats the way i have it set up on laptop) just my 2 cents

just incase you find something that might be usefull for XP you can just dump into your XP drive or use it as extra space for MP3's as i do. then be ablet to access them when you boot into XP but you wont be able to access SuSE through XP unless you format as FAT aswell

enough ranting and raving go install !!!

krome

that really sucks that they stopped giving away those goodies i really digged them

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    ;D I am getting ready to install Suse 8.0. I have Windows XP formatted with NTFS, so I purchased a separate hard drive. I know that all I have to do is install Suse on my new drive. My QUESTION is where does the boot manager, LILO get installed...to my Suse Hard Drive or to my XP drive? So, how exactly do I set it up so that I will receive the choice of which OS and drive to boot to. Thanks!
    LILO will be installed in the mbr of your primary hard drive, this means it will be on the XP drive.
    Don't worry tho, it won't do anything bad to XP, i used to run a beta of it using lilo to boot.
    YaST, the setup tool should have easy instructions to set up LILO, and it will probally find windows automaticly.
    If not, the root should be /dev/hda1, set the label to something original like 'windows'
    I just looked on the suse site and it looks like they have a really rasy partition program, so you'll be ok there

HTH,
    Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mugs

Thanks for the info, Alastair. So, do I have to set my Linux drive as the first one to boot, or, since LILO will go on my XP drive, can it stay the way it is?

Just throw linux on the secondary drive and leave it like it is.
    because lilo is on the XP drive it will find linux easily, and windows has this thing where it doesn't like beeing anywhere other than the first hard drive anyway.

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??