Thread: rebuild print service

kyiu

rebuild print service

My linux box crashed recently - bad hd. I've managed to move the hd content with the Norton Ghost to a newer drive. I thought everything was recovered. Everything seems to work except the printer. I've lost the printer service. I can't even run the printer configure. :PWhen I tried, got this "Error - couldn't find available devices in find-gs, this should not happen!" on the text screen (after I logout from the X session). I don't really want to rebuild the box from scratch. Can I just reload the print service and configuration? I'm running RH7.1

Ken

JimH

Re:rebuild print service

Well obviously something in the image you made from the old hard drive was corrupted. You might try running "rpm -Va" and see what problems it shows with the installed rpms. Problem is you need to understand what the output displayed is telling you. Not everything will be an error.

If the output from "rpm -Va" is excessive you could pipe it to a file and then examine the file. rpm -Va > whateverfilename
    You can just reinstall any rpm that might be corrupted. You can use the " --replacepkgs" option if rpm tells you they are already installed. You will probably have to re-install at least the LPRng rpm and the printer config tools.

Jim H

kyiu

I reloaded the LPRng as you've suggested. No help, same error message appears. It looks as if no printer have even been installed. When you run printconf again, the program hangs. I have to killapp to get out. After I exit from the X-windows. the same message scrolls on the screen "Error - couldn't find available devices in find-gs, this should not happen!" Only thing I can do to stop the scrolling is to reboot. I tried to upgrade the printconf from the web, downloaded all the necessary files. RPM refuse to do the upgrade. It said something about "Perl-xx" conflict. I even clicked "yes" to accept the conflict, the upgrade still fail. > Short of format the box and reload linux, is there any thing else I can do?

Ken

JimH

Probably the easiest way for you to fix it is to either re-install 7.1 or upgrade to 7.3.

Jim H