Thread: Updating enigma to valhalla

Updating enigma to valhalla

i have downloaded the valhalla iso's. i am told that they go to a place that can be found when you try to update. is this true or do i have to put them onto a cd and upgrade that way? in general, what do i have to do to update once i have the ISOs of valhalla?

JimH

Re:Updating enigma to valhalla

Installation guide for RH 7.3. Look at the section on on installing from a hard drive.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...install-guide/

Jim H

ok, that how to was helpful. one other thing. i believe that i DL'd valhalla under my user name. how do i locate teh dir that they are in?
    also, at what point do i choose to install from HD? i have tried it a few times and haven't seen it...

JimH

Use the locate command to find them.

$ locate valhalla
    /home/jimh/cdimages/RedHat/valhalla-i386-disc2.iso
    /home/jimh/cdimages/RedHat/valhalla-i386-disc3.iso
    /home/jimh/cdimages/RedHat/valhalla-i386-disc1.iso

also, at what point do i choose to install from HD? i have tried it a few times and haven't seen it...
    How did you start the installer? If you boot from CD 1 and the installer detects the cd in the drive it will never prompt to do a hard drive install.

Also unless something has changed since 7.2, hard drive based installs use the text mode installer only.

Jim H

well, at first i tried to do it using disk one and then choosing upgrade system. that didn't work, mainly because it never gave me the option to use the HD. i think i am gonna resolve this by jsut downloading the updates again on a different computer(windows bleh!) and burning the iso that way. o yeah, i did try the text mode but i still didn't get the option. also, i tried many variations of the locate command including yours, but i got nothing with leads me to believe that it isn't there. this confuses me because it spent a great amout of time downloading valhalla. i am just gonna start from scratch and do it teh way i know.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by babbing
    also, i tried many variations of the locate command including yours, but i got nothing with leads me to believe that it isn't there. this confuses me because it spent a great amout of time downloading valhalla. i am just gonna start from scratch and do it teh way i know.
    Maybe your locate database needs to be updated as the root user:

updatedb

then try again: locate valhalla
    Jim H

i did the updatedb, still it doesn't show >
    i am almost done downloading it on another computer and burning it off so i will really have it soon. but still, in the interest of keeping a neat drive, i would like to locate it. any other tricks?

JimH

If they are not showing after running updatedb then they are not on any of your Linux partitions. Maybe you accidently deleted or overwrote them by accident.

Jim H