Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Slackware kernel from 2.2.19 to 2.4.5?

Aaron_Adams

Re:Changing Slackware kernel from 2.2.19 to 2.4.5?

Which linux configuration are you referring to? I don't know which one liner description you're referring to either, but if you tell me, I'm more then happy to elaborate.

If by linux configuration you just mean the configuration of the whole system in general, I can give you a bunch of tips. As I'm sure SkyNet can as well.

Let me know

btw, Congrats on the kernel compile. The majority of people can't get through that one for quite awhile it seems, let alone 2 weeks of using Linux.

cindir

Well I had a little help I bought the slackware package from www.slackware.com and I got the slackware essentials book with the software (and yes I know its free but I have a 56k modem and I'm not going to download up to 2 gigs of info in 56k, and besides gotta buy the guys nachos right ;D). I figured out how to compile the kernel just wasn't sure where to get the source from.

The configuration I was reffering to was the stuff in
    "#make menuconfig"
    All the features that can be turned off or on or made modules(some are self explanitory though but) it would take quite some time to ask about each individual one so I was wondering if there was a good place to refrence all (or at least most) of them instead of looking them all up individualy
    mainly so I can slim down the size of my kernel and get some stuff working that isn't.
    And any tips to configuring the whole system would be hepful.
    Actully the main prolbem I am having is getting my video card to work I thought i turned it on when recompiling the kernel but doing a Super Probe dosen't detect anything but a SVGA (my video card is a VooDoo 2) I have been trying to get it working so that i can atleast get into X Windows. But I have been totally stuck.
    Thanks for all the help though and this forum is great.

beatlejuice321

Cindir,

I am sure you probably have already done this, but just in case it helps... To configure your video card/driver for "X", I would run "xf86config" and select either the "528" or "529" driver (these may be different for your version of "X") from the video driver list. Personaly I have had no luck with Voodoo cards in Linux, and have completely abandoned them altogether for Nvidia cards.

My recommendation to you, if you can't get the Voodoo to work, would be to purchase any Nvidia card (seeing as how the Voodoo2 is so old). "Pricewatch.com" has some of the best deals, I just got a Geforce 3 TI 200 for $85.00 (including shipping)! And any game I now play in Linux looks increadable (especially with "4x Gaussian Multisampling") But you could pick up any old Nvidia card for a very low cost replacement!

Anyways, good luck!

Beatlejuice

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by cindir
    (my video card is a VooDoo 2)
    Voodoo 2? I will guess that is a typo and should be voodoo 3? The Voodoo 2 was a 3D only graphics card. You needed to use it along with a 2D video card.

The voodoo 2 is also unsupported by XFree86 4.x.

Jim H

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by beatlejuice321
    My recommendation to you, if you can't get the Voodoo to work, would be to purchase any Nvidia card

Beatlejuice
    Nvidia? eeeeeeeeek! :P :-\ :

Jim H

beatlejuice321

What do you recommend "Jim H"?

Beatlejuice

cindir

No typo its a VooDoo 2 Redhat 7.1 had no prolbems with its just slackware. It has worked for a few years just fine (in windows anyway but I dont trust that crap at all) and has played my games quite well for an old school card. I'm going to get this card to work if it kills me because I have no money to buy a new one but if it truely wont work I might be going back to redhat but theres got to be some way, some way to make it work.
    Also I read somewhere that voodoo 2 was supported by one of the more recent releases of Xfree86 I'm just not sure what release I have. Thanks for the help though I guess I'm on my own on this one I'll make a post if I make any progress.

Aaron_Adams

cindir,

I don't know an exact place to get more information on the whole configuration in general, but if you want a bit of detailed information about a selection your unsure of putting a '?' into the square will pull up an informative paragraph explaining what the queried selection does. Other then that, for the most part, it's just knowing your hardware and knowing what you need and don't need. Never be afraid to post something on here, asking what it's for

In regards to the Voodoo2 problems. If it works in RedHat, it will work in Slack. It just probably won't be there by default. (*poke* *poke* JimH ) As far as I know, support (glide libraries) should be on one of the extra disks you got, and it will likely be a tarball. It should be named something like this: glide_cvg-2.53-i386-1.tgz

If you can't find it on the cd's you can get it here

Also, if you need a bit of help there is this 3dfx howto on tldp.org

The whole document is valuable, but that section mentions installation of the glide drivers.

I can't think of anything else right now, so if you have anymore troubles let us know.

JimH

Ok. Aparently the Voodoo 2 is supported by XFree86 4.2.0, but it still requires glide 2 which is not included with XFree86 4.x.

4.2.0:

Support for Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2 chips is provided by the "glide" driver (this requires version 2.x of the Glide library, which is not part of the XFree86 distribution).

Support (including acceleration) for Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo3, Voodoo4, and Voodoo5 is provided by the "tdfx" driver.
    Summary:

All hardware supported in 3.3.6 is also supported in 4.2.0. The Voodoo Graphics, Voodoo2, Voodoo4, and Voodoo5 are supported only in 4.2.0.

Jim H

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by beatlejuice321
    What do you recommend "Jim H"?

Beatlejuice
    I prefer not to use products from companies that don't support the Open Source community. Nvidia does not.

Matrox and ATI cards are both well supported under Linux. They are not perfect of course. Matrox's 3D performance leaves something to be desired, but then this just isn't under Linux. We will probably not see 3D support for ATI's current top of the line card, Radeon 8500, until the next release of XFree86.

Jim H