Thread: Return To castle wolfenstein under wine!!!!!!

Fear The Penguin

Return To castle wolfenstein under wine!!!!!!

???

Hey guys i really need some help i got the weirdest problem ever,,
    i have managed to get a installer for rtcw under linux with a windows copy of rtcw and when installing it says that im using win95 and the dcom95 file is missing so multiplayer wont work, it installs fine i got all the icons shortcuts dir's..e.t.c.e.t.c but when u launch under commandline

$wolfmp

it say cl_shutdown couldnt load default.cfg

i mean wtf?? ??? wot do i do? is it wine? is it the missing file or am i just too dumb???
    i am quite new too linux ive tried many flavours and settled with mandrake 8.1 ,i have all the x window system and the xfree working ,i have a fully 3d linux box but cant get any game /demo to work .I tried quake 3 3d racer and soldier of fortune as well!!!!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!

JimH

Re:Return To castle wolfenstein under wine!!!!!!

Why not use the native Linux binaries for RTCW instead of trying to run it under wine? There are quite a few of us GLO members who run RTCW under Linux using the Linux binaries. ;D

Jim H

Fear The Penguin

thanks m8 i appreciate the time u took to write it but i used wine as i already payed 45quid for rtcw for windoze and thought it easier to buy an installer for my windoze version save me another 40quid,do u know anything i can do or maybe u could tell me what files i can get to show u what could be wrong???

JimH

The Linux binaries are free for download. You just need your windows cd and a few files from your windows install. You don't have to buy anything again. ;D

Jim H

[me=alastair]get rtcw get yes[/me]
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Swishy

No to mention you'd be better off running this under WINEX if you arnt going to download the linux port files as it has better support for the installer and directx/ opengl you can install it straight off the win cd with it to.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Swishy
    No to mention you'd be better off running this under WINEX if you arnt going to download the linux port files as it has better support for the installer and directx/ opengl you can install it straight off the win cd with it to.
    Sounds like you have used winex. How well does it work? What games have you managed to run under it? How well do they run?

Jim H

P.S. Just curious.

Fear The Penguin

;D
    Howdy, well still n o luck its funny tho as i thought i had a full 3d linux box but nothing works |EVER| all i got too work are KDE games

im runnin a geforce2 ti 64mb but no luck and that wine installation is from |Tuxgames| for 5$ if anyone wants a copy email me! feel free to try it
    also when i check to see wot modules r runnin its says nvidia (AUTOCLEAN) to me thats working but i reckon its to do with the glx installation,is it best to LOAD GLX in xfreeconfig or not???
    when i install the glx it warns me about some shit but i cant i aint sure if its suppossed to do it i think im just shit with linux and the x window system is just ruining my learning curve i need to go back in time a learnm the real way!!!!! LOL